Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shipping a handgun to self intrastate?

Hey all,
    I looked through the shipping sticky, but didn't see anything relating to this, and did a search as well. I recently moved from my parents home in Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, and left one of my handguns behind. Can my father ship the handgun to me legally?

Thanks!

(Centre County)

Default Re: Shipping a handgun to self intrastate?

Retracted, It appears I was wrong. See my later posting.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; December 8th, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Unfortunately, your father cannot ship it directly to you. About the best you can do at this time is either to make the trip back and get it or talk to a LGS and see if they will accept a package from a non-FFL. However, in this circumstance, you will still have to do the federal and state paperwork and again undergo the background check.
    Statute?

10 char

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    Unfortunately, your father cannot ship it directly to you.
    I'm not so sure. Parent/Child privilege?

(Bucks County)

Either side visiting for the holidays?

Anybody can answer this one: Since this is a case of moving from one residence to another, does the OP have to be the one to actually do the moving of the gun? Can his parents bring it with them to visit as part of the move?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Either side visiting for the holidays?

Anybody can answer this one: Since this is a case of moving from one residence to another, does the OP have to be the one to actually do the moving of the gun? Can his parents bring it with them to visit as part of the move?
    His parents can transport it in a vehicle if one of them has a LTCF. I believe that the FOPA only applies to interstate transport, not intrastate.

(Centre County)

I will have to retract my first posting.

As per the BATFE, his father can ship it:

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

And, after perusing the UFA, it could fall under the parent-child transfer. I did not see anything in the UFA that would prohibit his dad from sending it, via common carrier, to his son.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    His parents can transport it in a vehicle if one of them has a LTCF. I believe that the FOPA only applies to interstate transport, not intrastate.

I wasn't thinking FOPA...i was thinking of moving belongings from one residence to another. But I wasn't sure if it HAD to be the owner (which is determined how?) doing the actual moving.

(Lawrence County)

Parent to child doesn't pertain here as it is already his firearm. Have your Dad get a FedEx box, take it home, oil the gun well and wrap everything in there nice and tight so nothing shifts or gets scratched or damaged. Seal it up, and have him mail it to you in Pittsburgh...

If his parents come to visit him in Pittsburgh, they can pack the gun in their suitcase, unloaded, and drive it to his house. They are just transporting the gun from their residence to a place that they are allowed to have it which is the registered owner's address. No LTCF needed...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I wasn't thinking FOPA...i was thinking of moving belongings from one residence to another. But I wasn't sure if it HAD to be the owner (which is determined how?) doing the actual moving.
    You mean this?

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    I think it's implied that the "place of abode" would be associated with the person carrying the firearm. Otherwise I could drive anywhere with a gun and claim the exception, saying, "well, I'm going to someone's place of abode!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast