Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default I need reloading tips for loading .45acp.

I have 185 grain flat point Rainier .45acp bullets. Is Accurate Solo 1000 Smokeless Powder good and how should I load it?

Default Re: I need reloading tips for loading .45acp.

The Rainier bullets are plated and need to be loaded like lead. I found no loads using Accurate Solo 1000. Find a new powder.

Accurate's website http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/P...%20revised.pdf list 170gr LSWC and a 200gr LSWC. It would be hard to go wrong if you use the 200gr data to start developing your 185gr load.

Walt

(Bucks County)

I got some tips for ya. First, forget the plated, jacketed stuff when reloading for 45acp. Buy factory ammo for your self-defence/HD, shoot some of it to give you idea what it is like, then shelf the rest or in ready to go mags.
    Rest of reloading would be for target, so fahgetabout the jacketed and plated stuff...lead is fine(and alot cheaper). Your velocity shouldn't be approaching leading velocities(1k fps) anyway. Some good powders would be Titegroup, W231, Accurate#2 and 5, Unique, Universal Clays, Clays.
    Buy in bulk. Big bulk, not 500..like 2k minimum. Find a friend to go in on it if need be.

Edit:The above advice is for shooting in 1911s or Glocks with aftermarket barrels only. This is what I use and will not guarantee results for other weapons. Price and availability limited while supplies last. This product does not contain Gluten or wheat.
    Last edited by QuakertownRich; June 25th, 2009 at 08:10 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

Steve's Reloading Pages show a range of 4.1 grains-4.9 grains for Solo 1000. For plated bullets I'd start low and buil up the load. I'm confident with plated bullets in all my pistols except magnum loads. You can't put a heavy crimp on a plated bullet, so attention to bullet set back is important. I haven't used plated bullets in my 45 acp because I still have a good supply of zero's; but I have shot Berry Plated out of my .45 LC. And that's all I use inmy .40's when at local USPSA shoots. I'm starting to build up lead loads due to increase in prices. like the man said buy in bulk.

Go to http://stevespages.com for interesting facts and reloading tips.