Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Posting a gun for sale

I have sold a few guns via this forum before and bought a few. I wanted to post this today as it happens everytime I post a firearm. I get PM's from people with 0 posts, 0 reps who have an out of state location in their profile. I have also gotten cash offers without a FFL transaction. Now I immediately assume its either a felon trying to get a gun, or a LEO trying to bust me. Am I pretty much on course with my thinking here? Or am I being too negative?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Posting a gun for sale

I'd feel the same way, so I don't think you're being paranoid. Why risk it?

(Montgomery County)

I'd say it's like employing situational awareness to stay out of trouble. If something just doesn't feel right, I'd want to trust that instinct and avoid it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by sig83 View Post
    I have sold a few guns via this forum before and bought a few. I wanted to post this today as it happens everytime I post a firearm. I get PM's from people with 0 posts, 0 reps who have an out of state location in their profile. I have also gotten cash offers without a FFL transaction. Now I immediately assume its either a felon trying to get a gun, or a LEO trying to bust me. Am I pretty much on course with my thinking here? Or am I being too negative?
    No that's what I usually notice, out of state, just registered to buy guns, ignore gun laws on shipping out of state which must go to FFL or they want to drive here to pick it up (non resident).

(Monroe County)

Ive had someone from out of state sign up just to talk to me about a gun I had listed, however it was shipped to a verified FFL for the proper transfer.

(York County)

It is very common for folks to want to legally buy/sell rifles or other long guns without the cost or "paperwork" of a FFL.

If someone wishes to attempt an illegal transaction, please notify the moderators of this forum.

Otherwise, following your instincts is usually not a bad idea. Turning down a questionable transaction will only cost you the transaction. Accepting a questionable transaction *could* render you a prohibited person, cost you a lot of money, and possibly your freedom.

You could be the potential victim of a sting operation by the BATFE or... worse...

Bloomberg!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It is very common for folks to want to legally buy/sell rifles or other long guns without the cost or "paperwork" of a FFL.
    I know this isn't what you're asking about, but the above is a good point to keep in mind. It's a pet peeve of mine when a seller wants to ship a long gun to an FFL even though I can produce a C&R, LTCF, PA DL, blood sample, letter from my boy scout troop leader, etc. That insistence on extra time and expense for a long gun purchase is usually a deal killer for me.

(Northampton County)

There are both douchebags and cops/ATF trying to buy guns over state lines or handguns without an FFL on this forum from what I understand. Obey the law and the worst that can happen is you meet a dickweed. Deal with an established member and odds are even better. Most sales go just fine.

Just ignore PMs/emails from people asking for BS transactions.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Just ignore PMs/emails from people asking for BS transactions.
    If they are trying to complete a clearly illegal transaction, please notify a member of staff.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Another way to look at it is that lots of people have NO IDEA what must be done to properly/legally buy/sell a firearm of any type.

Just think about how many people think that guns are registered in PA. We all know someone who believes this - even lifelong gun owners will say something like "I have a revolver that my father gave me, but it's not registered." (Shhhhh!!!)

Sure, there are people out there trying to bust someone for selling "illegally", but there are plenty of people who simply don't know any better, and will make a cash offer to buy a firearm like they would when buying any other item posted online.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast