Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Adusting fixed night sights ?

I just got a Glock 23 in a trade that shoots about 4 inches to the left at 25 yards. In the past I have adjusted a lot of sights with a hammer and a punch but since this one has night sights I am kind of hesitant to just start whacking it with a hammer.
    I called a couple local gunshops and was told that they don't have sight pushers to adjust them, they just clamp them in a vise and use a hammer and punch like they would with normal sights. So taking them to a gunsmith wouldn't do me any more good than doing it myself except that it would rob me of $10 worth of ammo money.

Are my concerns unnecessary? Anyone know any smiths in the Clearfield/Dubois/Clarion area who have a sight pusher for this gun?

Thanks

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Adusting fixed night sights ?

#1 it's VERY RARE to have a Glock shoot 4" from point of aim with any kind of factory sights. Not to be a jerk, but did you shoot it from a rest?

#2 I would never drift any night sight with a punch and hammer. Many of todays guns, including Glock are very tight and you run a great risk of the tritium vials leaking out the gas and the sight going dead.

Any good gunsmith should have a rear sight pusher for a Glock. If they don't, they must be working out of a cave.

B-Square makes a entry level pusher that anyone can operate, and comes in handy for future use. I would look into one of those.

(Philadelphia County)

Actually, depending on the sight, you may want to use a punch. I know XS includes a plastic punch with their sights and recommends against a sight pusher

Before you adjust your sights, adjust yourself. Some people have problems coping with the glock trigger and shooting left with a right handed shooter isn't uncommon.

Under normal circumstances I would be inclined to agree that I am most likely the problem.
    But in this case, I traded a Glock 22 for the 23. The trigger on the 22 was a little heavier but I still managed to do OK with it. I was able to put a magful into the head of a B27 without too much trouble.
    But I have not shot it from a rest yet so I will try that before I do anymore theatrics with it. I tested it with a few light taps today and that sight is tight. They are not factory though. The factory sights were adjustable and in the box with the gun. These are aftermarket trijicon.
    As for gunsmiths working out of a cave, they apparently are.
    No one in my area has a sight pusher. I also can't afford ninety bucks for my own right now. College has that effect on a guy.

Anyone know a well equipped smith in the Clearfield, DuBois, or Clarion area? That could potentially solve my problem. If not, doesn't Glock have some type of a total refurb deal for a pretty reasonable price? That might not be a bad idea with a used gun anyhow...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    Under normal circumstances I would be inclined to agree that I am most likely the problem.
    But in this case, I traded a Glock 22 for the 23. The trigger on the 22 was a little heavier but I still managed to do OK with it.
    The triggers in the 2 guns are the exact same thing.

I shot to the left when I switched Glocks, I'm a right handed shooter.

I'll be in Clarion on Tuesday if you want me to take a look at it?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    I just got a Glock 23 in a trade that shoots about 4 inches to the left at 25 yards. In the past I have adjusted a lot of sights with a hammer and a punch but since this one has night sights I am kind of hesitant to just start whacking it with a hammer.
    I called a couple local gunshops and was told that they don't have sight pushers to adjust them, they just clamp them in a vise and use a hammer and punch like they would with normal sights. So taking them to a gunsmith wouldn't do me any more good than doing it myself except that it would rob me of $10 worth of ammo money.

Are my concerns unnecessary? Anyone know any smiths in the Clearfield/Dubois/Clarion area who have a sight pusher for this gun?

Thanks
    Night sights can take a brass or aluminum drift. Just don't use heat. I know this......

Lycanilikethebighammerthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Night sights can take a brass or aluminum drift. Just don't use heat. I know this......

Lycanilikethebighammerthrope

That is what a friend told me. He used to build 1911's for Wilson Combat and he told me that they put their night sights in with hammer and punch. It was still a little concerned about it though. But come to think of it, they do stand up fine to being hammered back and forth every time the action cycles.

jmateer - that may be workable. I have an orientation for a new job all day Tuesday though so it also may not be workable depending on when you will be around.
    I am not the greatest handgun marksman anymore. My skills and strength have kind of atropied since I haven't shot nearly as much in the last couple years. It is actually kind of embarassing.
    I could have sworn the trigger in the 22 was a little heavier though. I even handled the two side by side before I finalized the deal.
    On the bright side, the 23 with the finger grooves fits my hand and points way better for me. It is also a much more convenient size.
    Do you have a sight pusher?
    Whether it is doable or not, thanks for the offer.