Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default National Park question

I know it's illegal to carry in a national park. What if you're driving through on a state road though? Those of you familiar with Valley Forge know that rt. 23 runs through the park. Is it against the law to pass through while having a concealed weapon in your vehicle?

(Snyder County)

Default Re: National Park question

I am no lawyer or anything, but I would imagine it would be the same as transporting a firearm through a state that we do not have reciprocity with. As long as you are transporting it legally in regards with the laws of that state and the final destination is a place where you can carry legally, it should be fine. But if you plan on stopping and making a stay for any period of time in those areas, then things would get iffy.

(Montgomery County)

I'm mainly interested in knowing if it's legal to have a loaded weapon in my vehicle while driving through. I'm guessing that it isn't allowed but hoping someone knows for sure. There's a section that I drive through regularly that I think may be considered the park, it's only a few hundred feet or so but occasionally I'll have to take 23 the whole way through the park.

(Montgomery County)

Just my thoughts.........while the park grounds themselves maybe Federal Property, my guess is that Rt 23 is a township or county road so technically you would be ok if you were just driving through the park.

Default National Park Question?

Well, I've made legal mistakes before; but, this is the way I understand things; and, if I'm wrong again, I'm certain someone will be along shortly to straighten me right out!

Here's the way I understand it: State roads which traverse national parks may or may not come under federal jurisdiction. If they do, then, all federal rules and regulations apply. Charges may be brought against you before either a: municipal, county, or federal judge for any violation of park regulations which - while not necessarily laws - carry the full force of law.

I live on the border of a large national park. (Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area) State Route 209 runs, right, through it. Worse, Route 209 is the only major north-south route in the area. If you're traveling from Stroudsburg to Milford, then, you've got to use Route 209. For the length of the highway that traverses the park, Route 209 is NOT a state road; instead, it comes under the auspices of the National Park Service.

Since the last Clinton administration things haven't been very good for people who carry firearms in national parks. Once inside an NP, you're not so much covered by law as you are by fiat. If there's a sitting president in Washington who is strongly anti-Second Amendment - like one of the Clintons - you can expect a whole new, 'crap pile' of fiat legislation to be leveled against your Second Amendment rights whenever you're on NP lands.

So, what's the right way to travel from Stroudsburg to Milford? Remove your sidearm; empty, both, it and any magazines; store them inside a locked box; also keep the ammunition separately locked away, too. Having had to do this a few times, I can tell you that it feels like someone is preying upon legally armed travelers; but, that's the way it is; and, sadly, you may expect things to get worse once Hillary regains control of the White House.

Still, any federal penalties are far less severe than if you make that other great, 'transportation mistake' that dogs travelers in our area. Whatever you do, DO NOT make a wrong turn and inadvertently cross the Delaware into either New York or New Jersey. If you get caught with your, otherwise, legal carry piece in New Jersey, you can expect to spend a minimum of $8,000.00 on court fines and legal fees.

If, however, you get caught in New York state - where it is illegal to import any out-of-state pistol - then they will summarily execute you and your family, right there, on the spot, and hang your lawbreaking carcasses along the side of the road for the crows and buzzards to consume.

(Or, at least, that's how I understand things!)

(Montgomery County)

Just curious, does anyone know why we can't carry in state parks? I think it's odd that we're allowed to carry most places in this state except for state parks.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by camery View Post
    Just curious, does anyone know why we can't carry in state parks? I think it's odd that we're allowed to carry most places in this state except for state parks.

I wondered the same thing, why it was illegal to carry in national parks. What is the reasoning behind this?

Not like lawmakers need reasons to create laws....

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    I wondered the same thing, why it was illegal to carry in national parks. What is the reasoning behind this?

Not like lawmakers need reasons to create laws....
    It is against DCNR Regulations to carry in a State Park. National Parks are governed by Federal law, so it could be code or regulation that prohibits firearms.

Acording to the NRA-ILA:
    NATIONAL AND STATE PARKS

Generally, firearms are prohibited in national parks. If you are transporting firearms, you must notify the ranger or gate attendant on your arrival, and your firearm must be rendered inoperable before you enter the park. The National Park Service defines inoperable to mean unloaded, cased, broken down if possible, and out of sight. Individuals in possession of an operable firearm in a national park are subject to arrest. Rules in various state park systems vary, so always inquire first.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by camery View Post
    I always thought it was to discourage poaching in the parks.

Because the picnickers get upset whenever they see someone carrying a gun; and, there's, also, a lot of horsing around among family groups spending a day in the park. I think the rangers are just happier not having to deal with it. (I know 2 people who were discovered carrying in a PA state park; they were simply asked to leave.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast