Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: S&W 640

Default S&W 640

I tried this gun out with the .357 caliber ammo, and actually shoot pretty well with it. I've been looking for something else to carry whenever I can't CCW my Sig 229. I considered the Sig 239, but I worry that still may be too big. As far as Kahr, well, I wasn't able to shoot the PM or KM series too well, not to mention that the PM jammed a couple times (local gun store let me shoot some used ones). The S&W 640 seems like I could conceal it just about anytime, since I have had a tough time trying to find a pistol that was all the following: 1) extremely reliable, 2) small enough to carry in almost any carry garment, and 3) has enough power to bring down even a big and determined assailant. My only concern about a revolver is that 1) limited capacity, and 2) reload time if more rounds are needed. If I were to carry 5 in the cylinder, and then 2 extra speed loaders, that leaves me a total of 15 rounds. What do you guys think? Is this enough for CCW, or should I perhaps keep trying to find a pistol that may fit the bill, and if so, what are your suggesstions? Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: S&W 640

i have one and carry it regularly, it's a great gun and would be super for what you describe. if you are comfortable with the capacity, then it's perfect.
    mpi

(Pike County)

Default Re: S&W 640

I have a 442 that I carry at times. I do not feel unarmed with it. I find that the HKS speedloaders that I have can be a pain to carry, so I usually use Speed Strips. If you put 5 in them instead of 6 you can get a much better grip on the strip. I carry three of them, 2 with the Silvertips that I carry in the gun, and 1 with some very hot +p's. I like the 442 in a crossdraw holster when I drive for a long distance. I also ALWAYS carry a BUG.