Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Chris Matthews: "Liberal media going easy on Crazy Huckabee"

Link to the original article:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-w...huckabee-views

According to MSNBC host Chris Matthews, 2008 Republican candidate Mike Huckabee has been given "the biggest free ride from the liberal media that I have ever seen in my life." Appearing on Monday's edition of "Morning Joe," the "Hardball" anchor speculated that left-wingers would enjoy seeing the GOP "chaos" that a Huckabee victory in Iowa would produce and, as a result, are ignoring the Republican's "crazy" views on gun control. Matthews derided as "black helicopter stuff," the former Arkansas governor's assertion that owning a gun gives Americans the ability to fight tyranny. "It sounds crazy," he told "Morning Joe" host Joe Scarborough.
    It's interesting to note that it wasn't Huckabee's position on taxes or immigration, which have been attacked as liberal by other conservatives, that Matthews objected to. The "Hardball" host lamented that a "sophisticated" media is allowing the '08 contender's position on guns to fly "under the radar." When Scarborough protested that conservatives view gun rights as meaning more just hunting, Matthews dismissively replied, "You really believe the only thing protecting you from the federal government coming into your neighborhood with helicopters and seizing you is your guns?" He then condescendingly claimed that the Founding Fathers designed the Second Amendment only for fighting the British and added, "I hate to tell you that the United States government is our government now."

A transcript of the segment, which aired at 7:41am on November 26, follows:

SCARBOROUGH: What about Huckabee, who Novak just goes after?

MATTHEWS: I think Huckabee has got the biggest free ride from the liberal media that I have ever seen in my life. I mean, you want to get into conspiracy theories. I mean, why is everybody who is liberal pushing Huckabee? Give me a break.

SCARBOROUGH: Well, why is everybody who is liberal pushing-

MATTHEWS: Because it creates complete chaos in the Republican Party. If he wins in Iowa, what does that tell you about anything? He's not going to win the nomination. It's going to tell you that people have rejected Romney and selected some guy who's a country boy, who's the purest of the pure seed, the absolute Second Amendment guy. I mean, have you heard what he says about the Second Amendment? He doesn't say keep a gun so you can be a sportsman. He doesn't say keep a gun to protect yourself. He doesn't say keep a gun to protect yourself. He says you need guns to protect you from your government. If you don't have a gun, then all your other rights are no longer inalienable. They can be taken from you at a moment, so you need to have guns to fight tyranny. This is the black helicopter stuff and he's selling that out there and it's under the radar. And the media is sophisticated --

SCARBOROUGH: Hell, Chris that's not under the radar. I haven't heard a southern conservative not say that over the past 20, 30 years.

MATTHEWS: It's-- But-- I'm sorry, it sounds crazy. It makes -- You really believe the only thing protecting you from the federal government coming into your neighborhood with helicopters and seizing you is your guns?

SCARBOROUGH: Well, Chris, what conservatives would tell you is that the Second Amendment wasn't drafted for duck hunting and that's the point that people like Mike Huckabee have always said.

MATTHEWS: Yeah, it was drafted because we were fighting the British. I hate to tell you, that the United States government is our government now. Conditions have changed.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

—Scott Whitlock is a news analyst for the Media Research Center.

In case anyone was wondering what our "betters" in the media and political establishment think of our constitutional right to keep and bear arms, there you go.

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Erie County)

Default Re: Chris Matthews: "Liberal media going easy on Crazy Huckabee"

Mathews is an idiot. I watch him from time to time when I feel the need for some humor.

He interviewed Huckabee last week? I think it was.

Huckabee talked about why more people should have LTCF/CCW and that if more people carry guns then there would be less crime. Mathews responded (as stupidly as expected) with some comment about then gangbangers would be carrying guns. (because of course they'd pass a backround check or aren't already felons lol)

(Berks County)

What I have a really hard time understanding is how Matthews and his brother can be such polar opposites. For those who don't know his brother is a conservative county commisioner in Montgomery county. As I said they are polar opposites and it is truly astounding. The only thing that I can figure is that they were raised in a conservative household and Chris is still objecting to the way that he was raised.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Montgomery County)

Chris Matthews...never care when Smerconish has him on, but hes the host of Hardball(for conservatives) AKA Whiffleball (for liberals)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    What I have a really hard time understanding is how Matthews and his brother can be such polar opposites. For those who don't know his brother is a conservative county commisioner in Montgomery county. As I said they are polar opposites and it is truly astounding. The only thing that I can figure is that they were raised in a conservative household and Chris is still objecting to the way that he was raised.
    Speaking from personal experience, most liberals are that way politically because they're claiming some form of victim status.

Case in point- if you own a copy of Kyle Cassidy's book Armed America, the reasons given by the obvious liberal gunowners for why they own a gun are things such as:

1) If I see someone picking on a minority, I want to be able to stop it.

2) If indigeonous peoples were armed, the evil whites wouldn't have been able to exploit them.

3) Since the right is armed, we should be too.

This is in striking contrast with those who you might classify as right wingers or even independent types where the most common reason for owning a gun is to protect our rights as Americans or because they hunt.

Chris Matthews scoffs at the notion that anyone would have a need to protect themselves from tyranny in this day and age, yet it was only 30 years ago that leftist champions of the people in Cambodia were systematically murdering an unarmed populous.

WAIT A MINUTE!! You can't compare Cambodia to the US, they're a primitive Asian country without a Constitution!!! Yeah? It happened in the USSR, it happened in China, it happened in Cuba, it happened in Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, the Ukraine, France, Belgium and the Baltic States. It's about to happen in Venezuela, in case no one is paying attention....

No matter what Chris Matthews or anyone else says, I prefer to stay armed, thank you.

Guns before butter,

Slim
    Last edited by Slim Pickens; November 30th, 2007 at 11:36 AM.
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Allegheny County)

I like Ron Paul, but I really like...

"Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final