Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Haggling at the gun store?

I was at a gun shop recently picking out a Christmas present for myself when I overheard some employees discussing how they didn't have enough room on their racks to put up their recent shipment. I've also noticed a few other places with a similar problem of full shelves and no buyers. I know the gun market isn't too bad, but there seems to be a lot more guns for sale than there are people buying them.

All of this got me thinking, is it possible to negotiate prices with the stores when they have guns that have been taking up space on their shelves for a while now? It is pretty common practice when shopping for things like cars to negotiate the price and fees, especially when their sales are slow, but has anyone tried this at a gun store?

If anyone has ever done this, or knows if it is or isn't possible, I'm curious to know.

I'm not looking to go crazy haggling prices, but if I can negotiate the price and save a bit it might also make me more likely to purchase in the first place, and I'd probably spend the price difference on accessories or ammo I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Default Re: Haggling at the gun store?

i always ask for a better price, sometime you get it usually you don't. best to know the going rate this way you can say, i've seen it for 20 dollar cheaper at XXXXX, can you beat it? never say can you match. and make sure you know all the fee 1st, cause sometimes i dont get charge for background and sometimes its 5 sometimes its 10.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by NShortino View Post
    I was at a gun shop recently picking out a Christmas present for myself when I overheard some employees discussing how they didn't have enough room on their racks to put up their recent shipment. I've also noticed a few other places with a similar problem of full shelves and no buyers. I know the gun market isn't too bad, but there seems to be a lot more guns for sale than there are people buying them.

All of this got me thinking, is it possible to negotiate prices with the stores when they have guns that have been taking up space on their shelves for a while now? It is pretty common practice when shopping for things like cars to negotiate the price and fees, especially when their sales are slow, but has anyone tried this at a gun store?

If anyone has ever done this, or knows if it is or isn't possible, I'm curious to know.

I'm not looking to go crazy haggling prices, but if I can negotiate the price and save a bit it might also make me more likely to purchase in the first place, and I'd probably spend the price difference on accessories or ammo I wouldn't have bought otherwise.
    I've done some negotiating, it depends on the owner. Some guys aren't willing to budge, some are. If the price is already lower than the competition you shouldn't expect much better. It doesn't hurt to ask but don't be a dick about it, you don't want to piss off someone you're likely to want to do business with again.
    Some have the mindset of making it up on future sales, and they will if you let them.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    i always ask for a better price, sometime you get it usually you don't. best to know the going rate this way you can say, i've seen it for 20 dollar cheaper at XXXXX, can you beat it? never say can you match. and make sure you know all the fee 1st, cause sometimes i dont get charge for background and sometimes its 5 sometimes its 10.
    Agree. Good advice...

Always attempt to negotiate!
    F*S=k

(Northampton County)

It's probably a lot easier to haggle the price on a used gun they have for sale depending on how much they mark it up. I know they don't pay full value for used guns that people bring in.

There's usually more room to haggle over used guns than new guns.

The best approach is to do some research, have a reasonable price in mind, and if the store has what you want for more than that price, ask if they'll match your target price before you leave. If they say "no", well, you were leaving anyway, so what has it cost you?

Not asking always means "no".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Always haggle, even in the big stores. In a small store having cash will save you some. I know one place that gives 10% off for cash.

(Montgomery County)

Wink Re: Haggling at the gun store?

my last purchase was a used 2003 .357 gp100 3".it was tagged for 399.
    they dropped it to 300 and i tradded a sp101 38spcl to knock down to 137.50 out the door.....always haggle.

(Luzerne County)

Always ask. Even if they don't drop the price sometimes they will throw something in, a case, box of ammo. I always ask, sometimes I don't have to the owner will say I'll throw in a box of ammo. Worst they can say is no.

(Delaware County)

Always haggle!!

Cash is king...

I once saw a price tag for an item that said 400 dollars, I showed the dealer I only had 360 bucks. He said stop back later. I did, and I paid 352.72 I had eaten a sandwich and a soda, he laughed. I gave him all I had.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast