Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Who CCs a Ruger SP101?

How do you carry it? Looking for proven holsters.

(York County)

Default Re: Who CCs a Ruger SP101?

I occasionally carry an SP101 which has the 3.06" barrel. I carry OWB in a Don Hume Model 721 holster.
    Nice holster, very high quality for a relatively low cost (about $60).
    For concealment, I wear a vest or sportscoat over it. This is one of two guns I also OC on occasion.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Westmoreland County)

I just use a uncle mikes size 15 in the waistband
    very comfortable in all weather conditions also

I use a Galco high rise belt slide holster. I kept the factory original boot grip on my gun because it is much better for concealment.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but lend added support to those of us who carry wheel guns for CC. I carry a S&W Model 19 3" in a leather holster that goes on the belt, hi-ride carry. Just put a shirt on over top or sweatshirt, hidden.

(Northampton County)

The sp101 is one of my favorite carry guns. I carry it in a Galco Cop Series holster (OWB). The numbers on the back of the holster are: E619 WCO & CTS160B.

I believe this holster is designed for S&W Jframe revolvers. Both a S&W 340pd & a S&W 640 fit in this holster. The sp101 is a tight fit when the holster is new but once the lether wears & loosens,it's IMO a great fit for the 2 1/4" Ruger. I've also carried a 3" sp101 in this holster. About 1/2" of barrel sticks out the bottom but the gun can still be drawn smoothly.

AND....the retaining strap on this holster holds the gun by the upper back of the grip...not the hammer.....soooo it will work with a bobbed/cut..hammerless...whatever gun. It does not however work well with the oversize Hogue grip as this grip is too thick for the strap to get over easily. With this holster the stock Ruger grip works best.

With a good belt you'll have all day comfort. I use a 511 1 3/4" nylon belt. I own both sp101s mentioned & the holster. The above info is 1st hand personal expierence.

(Lackawanna County)

Mainly, I carry my SP101 (.357 Magnum) as a BUG (to my primary firearm, almost always being my S&W M65); but, occasionally, I carry only the Ruger (and have never felt poorly armed when doing so).

As for "concealing" it (which is, typically, what one wants to do with a BUG) I, atypically, don't attempt to conceal it any more than I do my primary (or secondary) firearm(s).

Most often, I carry my SP101 in a Bianchi Accumold holster (very similar to this one). In fact, this holster is almost as old as my Ruger (which I purchased brand new around 1992). The holster worked just as well on my 'duty belt' back then as it does on my Galco leather belt today.

Generally, when I carry "concealed", I "conceal" my firearms under an un-tucked, un-buttoned button-down shirt (worn over a pull-over shirt) or under a jacket or coat. It rides "high enough" without being uncomfortably high - perhaps because the small size of the revolver itself. (I hate "high ride" holsters).

My Bianchi Accumold holster (I am unsure if they ever changed the design) keeps the revolver in the "straight up" (12 o'clock) position - which allows for 'cross-draw' carry (which is how I sometimes carry it). Originally, the holster was so 'stiff' and so perfectly molded to the revolver that it could only be drawn 'straight out' (with a bit of practice) when the thumb-break was opened (or when carried w/o the detachable thumb-break), but it wasn't really an 'unnatural' draw (perhaps because my revolver has the 2.25" bbl.?) and the technique was easily mastered. So - it would be difficult (perhaps adding a crucial few seconds) for anyone but the carrier to draw the revolver. This is an important feature for many people.

However, *my* Accumold holster (though it has 'held up' superbly over the years) is slightly 'broken in', and the draw is considerably smoother and quicker than it was originally.

Other than this, I'll carry my SP101 in a deep "Mexican style" manner - typically below my right kidney. Not everyone will have a "body type" suitable for doing this (safely) though. ...Guess I'm blessed in this respect.
    Last edited by Bruce; November 2nd, 2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Montgomery County)

I carry an SP-101 with a 2-inch barrel. Depending on my clothing, I either carry in my front right pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster, or in an IWB Ultimate Concealed holster from Blade-Tech. I really like the Blade-Tech holster, but with some of my dress clothes for work, I still print too much for my liking (probably has more to do with my fat gut than the holster). The Nemesis does a good job for a pocket holster -- the Ruger can be a tad heavy for pocket carry, but I've gotten used to it.
    Last edited by shiloh; November 3rd, 2009 at 11:32 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Does the Nemesis completely cover the trigger? I have an unclemikes that I use for a Taurus 85 but it does not fit the sp101 right. I notice on the Desantis website that they give the same part number for Taurus 85 and SP101.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Does the Nemesis completely cover the trigger? I have an unclemikes that I use for a Taurus 85 but it does not fit the sp101 right. I notice on the Desantis website that they give the same part number for Taurus 85 and SP101.
    I use the "full size auto" Nemesis -- biggest one they have, and it does cover the trigger guard completely. After a few trips in the pocket it molds pretty well to the SP-101, like it was made for it. Keeps the gun in position nicely in my pocket, and when I've practiced drawing (unloaded, of course) the revolver comes out smooth and the holster stays where it belongs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast