Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Red face Scolded at the Range

(More specific situational information at post #23)

To be brief and informative, recently I and 2 other trained shooters (age range 20-65) were... well, shooting, our modern sporting rifles when we were approached and heatedly scolded by an older, heavy-set gentleman who was there "sighting in" a muzzleloader with his friend (and supervising any other range goers that showed up). He approached us, obviously aggravated, and proceeded to scold us concerning our position on the firing line: He charged that one of us was standing dangerously in front of the plane of the muzzle of another shooter. In truth, one shooter was seated at a table with his rifle, and the other was standing in line with the front of the next table down. We assume, though, that Flustered Fudd was also frazzled by our use of modern, non-hunting firearms and (maybe?) other personally-concocted range rule violations, as he was noticeably already bothered when he approached, and used a raised, aggravated voice and hand gestures. Though his accusation was borderline random, we politely agreed with him and continued our shooting.

We did not inform him of our actual years or level of training, his inappropriate demeanor, or the accusatory nature of his inquiry as to the possession of membership cards. Neither did we ask him for some identification of his authority...some things simply aren't worth the trouble.

All I would advise to anyone who frequents any range is that, for all our sake, you save your "range officer" (justified or not) routine for someone who presents a real danger, blatant disregard for range rules, or the like, not for those who are disturbing the chi of your once-a-year sight-in session with Ol' Bess with their scary and unnecessary black rifles. Most of us, I assume, who frequent the range do so in the true American spirit of "leave me alone" or "be friendly." If the anonymous range ranger happens to read this, "we come in peace," and here's a picture for you--scold away.

See: The instructor standing beyond the plane of the pistol muzzles. (worse than what occurred in this situation).
    Last edited by StingyGunner; December 25th, 2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: unneeded information.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Scolded at the Range

Why are you posting his license plate on a public forum?

(Montgomery County)

I think YOU are the one who is aggravated and are making hand gestures. You have not explained your shooting stand with any degree of clarity to ask the forum to come down on your side. What does "the other was standing in line with the front of the next table down" mean? And the picture of the GIs shooting their 1911s is meant to back you up? How?
    Last edited by ForeverPA; December 25th, 2014 at 07:30 PM.

I dislike people who fail to mind their own business, and I also dislike being watched while I am shooting. Feels like they are just waiting for something to start trouble over. I know what you mean, I have been yelled at at by range officers at places that will remain nameless for such things as drawing slowly from a holster with finger clearly off the trigger; and on a separate occasion for attempting to pass my buddy's Dan Wesson .357 to him in the next shooting booth with the empty cylinder open, my fingers holding the top strap through the opening, and the barrel pointed straight down at the floor. The dude jumped up and lunged toward me and almost knocked it out of my hand, because, you know, that would have been safer had it actually been loaded.

I am all for safety and it is my number one priority when handling firearms. If I'm clearly not doing something hazardous, don't complain to me about it.
    "Glocks are 5 times as addictive as crack"

(Mercer County)

Let me guess, you're the only one professional enough to use that range? That's the vibe I'm getting here. Without actually seeing how you and those with you were positioned, I can't really make a call on it. However, considering the picture you used shows a guy forward of others shooting, and you're using that to illustrate the point that it's somehow ok, I'm somewhat inclined to believe you may have been jerking off on the range and got called on it. As you should.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

There are always two sides to a story, so take it for what it's worth. I have no idea what your situation is/was, but it's tough to take any sides without hearing both sides.

IMO, age has nothing to do with how one handles firearms. I mean I had to tell a gentleman with his grandson he's teaching bad habits to his grandson.

Over the years, I've seen some really stupid things at the range as I'm sure many of us have seen. I don't know if the person was a "FUDD" or not. What I do know is that you are making assumptions about the person. Just because he was shooting his muzzle loader does not make him a FUDD. They do have a late season and perhaps he was sighting in for the season.

ETA: It's Christmas dude...not sure why you had to post a negative thread on one of the best holiday in the year.

Age is no guarantee of safe habits; in fact, some of the most-wrong people I've ever met had been doing the same bad things for so many years, or held the same erroneous understanding of the law for decades, that it was beyond logic and reason for them. They were unable now to evaluate their notions or actions with anything like objectivity.

I've heard from a lot of sources that women make the best firearm students, because they don't bring the mixed bag of experience and errors to the class. They often start with the assumption that they don't know anything, so the teacher doesn't have to waste time arguing.

I understand that if the other guy copped an attitude, that would make the recipients of his advice reluctant to evaluate their own actions. On the other hand, good advice is good advice. And pretty much nobody is ever killed in an accident right after saying "this is probably a really unsafe practice." Everybody thinks that whatever they're doing is "safe enough", which is why they're doing it. Sometimes, they're wrong. Being forward of a nearby muzzle is always a bad idea.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Centre County)

Lightbulb Re: Scolded at the Range

No, no, no. Not meant to be negative. I just had time, and wanted to share an experience of being approached by someone being overactive at the range. The GI picture illustrates about the same situation--the drill instructor is standing past the plane of the the GIs' pistol muzzles. I totally understand how it could seem negative, though. It was a negative experience.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    I'm somewhat inclined to believe you may have been jerking off on the range and got called on it. As you should.
    Quite an assumption, but to each his own! No jerking was taking place, though.

Everybody thinks that whatever they're doing is "safe enough", which is why they're doing it. Sometimes, they're wrong. Being forward of a nearby muzzle is always a bad idea.
    I agree completely. The actor was not "in front of the muzzle" as the man would have had us thinking by his reproach--that's what had us baffled.

age has nothing to do with how one handles firearms
    So true! I only meant to accompany that fact with the fact that the oldest of us there was a retired professional, and the other younger ones were also professionally trained in firearm operation.

What I do know is that you are making assumptions about the person.
    Also true. Just my inference from being there for a while with him, and from his dialogue with us.
    Last edited by StingyGunner; December 25th, 2014 at 08:34 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

let me guess.game lands range

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast