Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Sheriff transfer for under 21

I think it's fairly well known that a Sheriff can facilitate a handgun transfer to someone between the ages of 18 and 21.

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of any Sheriff in PA ever actually doing this?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Default Re: Sheriff transfer for under 21

Try finding a sheriff that will do ANY transfer first. It's too bad that the law only offers it and doesn't command that it be done.

I'm sure I or someone else can go down the long list of sheriffs of the state before election-time and see who even does them. I'm sure we all know an underager and a gun we want to transfer.

I'll keep posted if I do anything...

Centre County Sheriff doesn't do them, which is a goddamned shame (and doesn't exactly make sense given the supposed pro-armness of Nau).
    Last edited by pex; July 21st, 2008 at 11:13 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Jefferson Co Sheriff Demko used to.. But he didn't run in the last election and now one of his deputies is Sheriff. Not sure if he does them, but he is pro-gun for sure. He's the deputy that did mine and my cousin's license work.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Kopko in Warren County apparently does them. I will have to follow up to get details.

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    Kopko in Warren County apparently does them. I will have to follow up to get details.
    I called back, got someone else, and now they say they don't, but will escalate and verify. Wow.

A list of some counties around Centre that I polled, explaining to some who the target is and what the law is, and accepting hard answers from others:

Centre - NO
    Clinton - NO
    Clearfield - NO
    Cambria - NO
    Blair - NO
    Hundington - NO
    Mifflin - NO
    Snyder - NO
    Union - NO

(Lackawanna County)

I am just wondering old loud,.............How can a Sheriff do a transfer if you can't bring a gun into the courthouse?

Aren't most Sheriffs departments in county courthouses? That is where the majority of their mission lies.

Any sheriff's office located in a courthouse would pretty much be precluded from performing this service by state law, right?

You realize that much of the time, an agent of the sheriff will drag you THROUGH THE PROHIBITED COURT FACILITY to take you to a locker, right? Consider that detainment outside of your hands.

Here is how it would work in a lawful manner...

You'd make an appointment and meet the sheriff outside, providing him the firearm (he has to act as if he's the seller anyway). He just (temporarily) takes it into his possession and you all walk into the staging area, and then complete the paper work. The sheriff may then deliver the firearm to the recipient outside as everyone leaves.

Or just consider it this way: the sheriff is just exercising discretionary powers in not arresting you for your crime. I guess maybe someone else could find out and file papers, but then the sheriff could just not arrest you later, too.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by CZ40P View Post
    I am just wondering old loud,.............How can a Sheriff do a transfer if you can't bring a gun into the courthouse?

Aren't most Sheriffs departments in county courthouses? That is where the majority of their mission lies.

Any sheriff's office located in a courthouse would pretty much be precluded from performing this service by state law, right?
    No..

All you have to do is call down ahead of time to request a transfer. They will tell you to bring it to the security/checkin station and wait for a deputy or the sheriff him/herself.

Theres no coded wording protecting you while you secure your firearm either. But its well understood that if the law provides a service that you'd have to bring it in to perform/use that service. Case law ruled that upto the security checkpoint you are legal.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Follow-up with Warren County:

Warren - NO

(Chester County)

in the chester county courthouse there is an entrance / exit door on the other side of the building as well and the door to the sheriffs office is BEFORE the metal detector / guards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast