Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Age to carry?

(Lehigh County)

Default Age to carry?

I was looking over that handout and it says that the age to OC in PA is 18.

How is that possible if someone under 18 cannot purchase a pistol until they are 21? I'm just curious, as I'm 19.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Age to carry?

You can receive a handgun as a gift from a parent or grandparent - no paperwork required.

Also, Sheriffs have the authority to transfer to someone between 18 and 21, though you'll have a very difficult time finding one to do it.

Lastly, even if you obtain a firearm and wish to OC, a LTCF is required for carry in a vehicle, outside of specific exceptions like the range, repair shop, etc. (and gun must be unloaded in these circumstances).

So, unless you're going to travel exclusively by foot, for all practical purposes, carrying is out until you're 21.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    You can receive a handgun as a gift from a parent or grandparent - no paperwork required.

Also, Sheriffs have the authority to transfer to someone between 18 and 21, though you'll have a very difficult time finding one to do it.

Lastly, even if you obtain a firearm and wish to OC, a LTCF is required for carry in a vehicle, outside of specific exceptions like the range, repair shop, etc. (and gun must be unloaded in these circumstances).

So, unless you're going to travel exclusively by foot, for all practical purposes, carrying is out until you're 21.
    Basically what I thought. So say, for instance, that I decided to OC, on foot, to a store, with a Pistol gifted to me from my father, and I'm stopped by an LEO. How much fun would this encounter be? >.<

Say in worst case scenario, they take the firearm from me and run it and find that its under my fathers name. Would I be given shit for this? Detained? What's the worst that could happen?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS View Post
    Basically what I thought. So say, for instance, that I decided to OC, on foot, to a store, with a Pistol gifted to me from my father, and I'm stopped by an LEO. How much fun would this encounter be? >.<
    That would depend on your definition of "fun".

Say in worst case scenario, they take the firearm from me and run it and find that its under my fathers name. Would I be given shit for this?
    Perhaps .
    Detained?
    Possibly.
    What's the worst that could happen?
    You could be arrested. Hopefully, if you did not resist, you would not be physically assaulted.

Remember that legally, none of this should happen. The reality though, is that in some various parts of PA, all of it HAS happened.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    That would depend on your definition of "fun".

Perhaps .Possibly. You could be arrested. Hopefully, if you did not resist, you would not be physically assaulted.

Remember that legally, none of this should happen. The reality though, is that in some various parts of PA, all of it HAS happened.
    Well, I guess my definition of fun can be measured by the fact that I'm still not scared away from OCing, even knowing all of this.

(Chester County)

If you do wish to OC someday, I'd suggest some kind of firearms training both in their use and retention. Even if you're very familiar with firearms there are still things you can learn from a professional.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    If you do wish to OC someday, I'd suggest some kind of firearms training both in their use and retention. Even if you're very familiar with firearms there are still things you can learn from a professional.
    I totally agree. I just wish there was something like that in my area. >.< There never seems to be. /sigh

(Philadelphia County)

You can buy a pistol through a private seller at 18, but need to get the transfer done at a sheriffs office. I tried it that way, and absolutely no dice as the sheriffs offices claim that it doesn't matter that it's legal it's against their policy.

You can also receive one as a gift from a father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, or sibling
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!” ~Samuel Adams

You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.” ~ Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by jon'76 View Post
    You can buy a pistol through a private seller at 18, but need to get the transfer done at a sheriffs office. I tried it that way, and absolutely no dice as the sheriffs offices claim that it doesn't matter that it's legal it's against their policy.

You can also receive one as a gift from a father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, or sibling
    Transfers between siblings isn't one of the exceptions. Only between parent/child or grandparent/grandchild or spouses.

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

That's not really true, you can play the State Permit Game.

I'll have to double-check, but I believe a person age 18 could get a Maine permit, and then a New Hampshire Permit.

Send in the app and certification of training to Maine, get their permit. They don't have reciprocity, but NH requires you have a permit from any other state to get their permit. You have Maine's, and NH has reciprocity with PA. Then you may carry in PA.

Note that if you only get Maine, you can still OC on foot and carry in a vehicle otherwise.

Citations for all this business to come.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast