Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag-na Porting

(Franklin County)

Default Mag-na Porting

I wanted to get some advice on mag-na porting. I was thinking of having my new Sig P227 ported. Pro's and con's from those who have had it would be appreciated. And any pics would be cool too. Thanks

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Mag-na Porting

I liked the S&W 629 I had it done to better before I had it ported and wound up selling it.

YMMV.

Too much flash in the face afterwards for me...

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by claudel View Post
    . . . Too much flash in the face afterwards for me...
    ^^^ This, plus tiny hot particulates hitting face and neck.

I have only one ported firearm, a Marlin 1894P in 357 Magnum, 16.5" barrel with factory porting. I've sold every other ported firearm I've ever owned, and if I wasn't a collector of rare and low-production Marlins that 1894P would be down the road, too.

Porting is a great idea in theory for firearms which have hellacious recoil, in order to tame that recoil and allow for faster recovery of sights on the aiming point. For something like the 500 S&W Magnum it's almost a necessity.

For a SIG 227? Not only no, but hell no. A total waste of $$$, and the hot particulates in the face will have you flinching with every shot fired.

JMO,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    For a SIG 227? Not only no, but hell no. A total waste of $$$, and the hot particulates in the face will have you flinching with every shot fired.

JMO,

Noah
    Well you pretty much convinced me to keep it stock. Thank you.

(Cumberland County)

Counterpoint:

I don't know anything about Magna Port specifically as a brand. I'll just say that ahead of time. I assume it's all pretty much the same.

I had a ported Springfield XD9V10 and never had a problem with gas or unburnt powder or anything hitting me in the face. I did have a problem with the tremendous amount of noise it shot back at me. Scared the snot out of me the first couple range trips. Firing it inside was absolutely insane, even on a covered outdoor range was bad.

A normal barrel shoots most of the noise, thunder, gas, and bullets out and away from you. The ports bring some of that right up close and personal with your face.

I guess the question is exactly why do you want to have it ported? Control recoil?

One other waring about ported guns; They are filthy dirty. Ports spray crap everywhere. I have since traded that XD away to another member here who now touts it all over Youtube (I'm watching you Jon), but here are some pics to give you an idea.

Typically the white dot on my front sight would be completely black within 50 rounds or so.

Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I guess the question is exactly why do you want to have it ported? Control recoil?
    That's exactly the main reason I was considering it. The recoil on my Sig isn't terribly bad, but I was looking to reduce it. I did like the way it looked as well. But I choose functionality over looks any day, especially considering this pistol is my HD weapon.

(Dauphin County)

Porting self defense pistols could mean you get burned in a fight. Nothing i have is ported.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHEPHERD321 View Post
    Porting self defense pistols could mean you get burned in a fight. Nothing i have is ported.

Not to mention being blinded by muzzle flash in a HD scenario

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHEPHERD321 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firebird.77 View Post
    Not to mention being blinded by muzzle flash in a HD scenario
    Have you guys shot ported pistols at night?

It isn't blinding. Also, you'd have to have ports pretty close to bare skin to burn yourself, and if burning yourself is the worst thing that happens in a gun fight you've had a pretty good day.

Let's keep the internet gunfighter rhetoric to a minimum. Ported pistols aren't for everybody, but you really shouldn't decry them if you have no experience with them. Did you know there are police departments that actually issue C model Glocks? ( The C stands for compensated).

When it comes down to it they aren't for everybody, but they certainly have their place, and like Noah mentioned above some firearms necessitate them.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Allegheny County)

I have one ported firearm, it's a Sig 220 that I had triple ported. I wanted something different so I had it done. It's not a carry piece just a range toy. I can tell you this it has almost zero muzzle flip and stays on target for fast follow up shots. Only downside is the front site gets dirty but it's fun to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast