Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Erie man killed after telling driver to slow down

Erie man killed after telling driver to slow down
    Monday, April 27, 2009
    The Associated Press

ERIE, Pa. -- A 30-year-old Erie man is dead after being shot and killed for telling a motorist to slow down while driving through a residential neighborhood.

Police say Jayson Sack died Saturday after being shot by the driver of the passing car. Erie County Coroner Lyell Cook says Mr. Sack died of at least one gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Police have charged 22-year-old Joel Atkin with homicide and other related charges.

Mr. Sack's brother Vinny Sack says the family was having a barbecue Saturday afternoon when the car came speeding by. He says Mr. Sack called out to the motorist to slow down and the driver came out and pointed a gun at him. He says Mr. Sack tried to disarm the man and was shot

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Erie man killed after telling driver to slow down

IIIIIEEEEEEEEE, stories like this give the responsible gun owners a bad name.

(Delaware County)

I hate headlines....

So he was actually killed trying to disarm the guy? How about taking down the license plate number and calling the police.

RIP dear sir.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

That's why you should always disarm attackers twice in the chest and once in the head.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    So he was actually killed trying to disarm the guy? How about taking down the license plate number and calling the police.
    I was thinking that too. But perhaps he really felt the guy was gonna shoot him and attempting to disarm was a last ditch effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
    That's why you should always disarm attackers twice in the chest and once in the head.
    Yep, never bring just your hands to a gun fight. Certainly a tragedy however it went down.

(Allegheny County)

i would actually say that if the guy already has a gun pointed at you, trying to draw and shoot him stands less of a chance of working than trying to take his gun if he is within reach. if he is not in reach, running--but not straight away from him--is probably the best chance of waking up the next morning.

not that you ever want to have to try any of the above...

(try all of the above in practice sometime and see what happens...)
    F*S=k

(Northumberland County)

even if i had a Black Belt, i wouldnt try to disarm someone with a gun ,a knife maybe but never a gun....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    even if i had a Black Belt, i wouldnt try to disarm someone with a gun ,a knife maybe but never a gun....
    IF YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING, a gun within arms reach is as good as yours. It doesn't take a black belt. You just have to know exactly what you're doing.

I wouldn't try it except as a second-to-last resort when I'm about to be killed. I'd do it just before trying to draw and fire against an attacker with a gun to my head. We (PA constables) are taught the principle of the thing in defensive tactics in Act 44 training, but I wouldn't trust my life to pulling it off unless I'm already as good as dead.

The instructor, on the other hand, can take your gun away faster than blinking.

One important take-away lesson is that you never get within arms reach holding a weapon. If you're forced to draw, always create distance at the same time. On TV they draw and advance; we should pretty much always draw and back up.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    i would argue that attempting to take a knife away from someone has less of a chance of success than trying to take away a gun. (again, not that you ever want to have to try either...)

a gun is only dangerous in one direction, you just need to stay out of the line of fire. a knife, on the other hand, is dangerous in all directions.

you can grab a gun (the gun itself) without rendering your hand useless thereafter (though you do need to be mentally prepared for the gun to go off while you have your hand on it--thus potentially burning your hand)...a knife, not so much.

in my limited practice-only experience, disarming someone of a gun can actually work surprisingly well. (don't take this the wrong way. it does not mean "it will work"...it only means "at first thought, you would think it is impossible, but in a controlled practice setting, at least, it actually seems to work more often than you would think, but you still absolutely do not want to have to try it for real if you can avoid it".)

in my practice experience with someone who actually knows at all how to use a knife, it seems you are more or less assured of getting cut. (though i am no means any kind of expert, i'm sure there are people out there who can do it without getting cut more often.)

(having said all of this, i did actually disarm an attacker of a knife in a real world situation once. but that guy had no clue how to use a knife...lucky for me.)
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast