Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Two Men Accused Of Carrying Explosive Materials Make Court Appearance

This story, there's quite a few different reports on it, is very confusing.

State: Says they are terrorists transporting explosives
    Feds: Say they are college students with firecrackers

GOOSE CREEK — A terrorism task force is investigating after two men were detained when police found a suspicious item in their car during a routine traffic stop near Charleston, authorities said Sunday.

The men, who had been stopped for speeding on Saturday, were being held pending a charge of unlawful possession of an explosive device, said Berkeley County sheriff’s Lt. Vince Lombard.

Lombard would not say what the device was or what bomb technicians from neighboring Charleston County exploded about 2:45 a.m. Sunday. The item made a loud bang, similar to a firecracker, when it was demolished.

A terrorism task force is reviewing evidence, said FBI spokesman Richard Kolko.

“At this point, it is to early in the investigation to say there is any link to terrorism,” Kolko said.

State Law Enforcement Division Chief Robert Stewart, who is the S.C. homeland security director, said Sunday, “There is no immediate threat to the citizens of South Carolina from this incident.”

Stewart declined to say where the suspects were heading or discuss other specifics, noting that the FBI was handling the case.

He said his agency’s bomb squad as well as other SLED agents who are cross-deputized to work with federal authorities are assisting the FBI.

“We do have some units that are heavily involved,” he said. “Ever since 9/11, there are a number of (SLED) agents wearing two hats.”

Stewart said the state’s citizens “must be constantly vigilant” when it comes to possible terrorist activities.

FBI spokesman Tom O’Neill declined comment on the case Sunday evening, referring questions to the Berkeley County Sheriff’s Department.

The Berkeley County Sheriff’s Department planned a news conference this morning to provide further details about the case.

Authorities closed a mile-long stretch of U.S. 176 at about 7 p.m. Saturday. It reopened at about 4 a.m. Sunday.

Goose Creek, about 20 miles north of Charleston, is home to the Naval Weapons Station, which houses the U.S. Naval Consolidated Brig, a military prison where enemy combatants have been held.

The car, which had Florida tags according to a Charleston TV station, was heading west, away from Goose Creek, when it was pulled over about 7 miles from the sprawling Navy facility, Lombard said.

Staff writer Rick Brundrett contributed.
    http://www.thestate.com/local/story/138429.html

Note to all of you: If you DWM (Drive While Muslim) with fireworks, you might get arrested.

(Erie County)

Default Two Men Accused Of Carrying Explosive Materials Make Court Appearance

There's alot of articles out on this, none make much sense.

Locals Cops say they were carrying explosives and are terrorists
    Feds say they had fireworks and are college students
    Muslim groups say they were racially profiled
    The two college students say they were on vacation and had fireworks

Apparantly they denoted one of the "bombs" and colorful cinders came out. Strange story, sounds like the locals are fishing and trying to scare people, in my opinion. Just remember kids don't Drive While Muslim (DWM) with fireworks. s

Berkeley County, SC -

Yousef Megahed and Ahmed Mohamed remain behind bars tonight. Their bonds totaling nearly a million dollars. Found in their possession were pipe bombs

Twenty four year old Ahmed Mohamed and 21 year old Yousef Megahed arrived in court under tight security.

The two were arrested on Saturday following a traffic stop in Goose Creek. The two are charged with possession of an explosive device.

"He was in possession of pipe bombs, and materials used to make other bombs," said 9th Circuit Solicitor Scarlett Wilson.

"We won't know definitely what each substance is until it's tested by the FBI (website) ," said Sheriff Wayne Dewitt.

Court documents reveal Mohammed admitted to buying materials at Wal-Mart. Aside from what was found in the car, Sheriff DeWitt said their behavior at the time of the stop raised officers' suspicions.

During the bond hearing, Megahed appeared calm while Mohamed seemed agitated and was seen chanting. One unanswered question, what were the pair doing in Goose Creek?

"Both of them were on their way to a beach in North Carolina to celebrate Ahmed's birthday," said Defense Lawyer Dennis Rhoad.

The brother of one of the defendants was in court for support. Berkeley County officials say the two don't appear to be involved in any terrorist activity. The FBI says they are still investigating to see if there is a link.

Megahed's bond was set at $300,000. Mohamed's bond was set at $500,000. Conditions of the bond require both men to remain in South Carolina, not to have any contact with each other, or any weapons. The men are also to maintain good behavior and to wear a satellite monitor.
    http://www.abcnews4.com/news/stories/0807/445438.html

I tried posting this in the news section, but the last 3 articles I tried to post weren't approved, guess someone doesn't like me

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Two Men Accused Of Carrying Explosive Materials Make Court Appearance

Its hard to judge this situation without knowing all the data. Fireworks are(at least, were) legal in SC to purchase and use - so it is quite possible that the items in question are what the young men, and Feds, said they were.

I'm reserving opinion until I know more. They could be innocent or guilty... It does appear though that local LEO's have put a spin to things with the Feds saying they are fireworks.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Two Men Accused Of Carrying Explosive Materials Make Court Appearance

It's hard to believe the Feds would actually "play down" anything terror related, IMO. However, I think it's likely that local departments would *LOVE* to have some DHS funding.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    I tried posting this in the news section, but the last 3 articles I tried to post weren't approved, guess someone doesn't like me
    Sorry, I got backed up... "promoting" this thread to the News section and merging it with your original post there.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    It's hard to believe the Feds would actually "play down" anything terror related, IMO. However, I think it's likely that local departments would *LOVE* to have some DHS funding.
    This sounds like the most plausible scenario, but I'd love to hear the details of this one.