Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: maps

(Northumberland County)

Question maps

ok, here's my idea:

there is a section where you can relay your personal experiences w/ gunshop/gunsmiths.

would it be possible to make an interactive map showing the location of all of these, along with a rating from 0-5 stars from people who have dealt with them?

it could possibly, maybe, then give you directions to the shops????

sound like a good idea, i just dont know the logistics of making it work.

if this took off a similar map coulld also be made for gun clubs/shooting ranges.

ive seen maps they have made up for locations of members on other fourums, where you could hold the pointer over the pin on the map and get a short description of them, username, city, link to website, etc.. thats the kind thing im thinking of for this, if its at all possible.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: maps

Does this map look something like what you think would be useful? It's fully customizable and won't take up any of this site's resources. Also, you can easily get Google driving directions from wherever you are to any chosen destination on the map.

I'm no web guru, but would be glad to work on a google map like this if folks think it would benefit us. We'd have to hash out how best to begin, perhaps focusing on one category at a time. Since we can assign different symbols for different things, a single map might be a better choice rather than a map for ranges, another for shops, etc.

Of course, member locations would have to be strictly voluntary, and only indicate a general area where they are located, not their specific location. Also, before using this board to organize this type of effort, I'd like to have danp's permission to do so.

(Northumberland County)

that would be great!!

diff color markers for ranges, shops, members, GREAT!!

agree on the general location thing too. saw one for another site like that w/ general area thuing. it was also hosted fron another site. ill have to see if i can come across it again.

(Northumberland County)

here's the thread with the link (4th one down):

http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewto...ght=member+map

i dont think you can view it without signing in though, so for those who arent members, this is the link for ak builders who are members ("frapper map"):

http://www.frappr.com/akbuilders

i dont know, this may or may not be easier than doing a google map, just an idea for another avenue to accomplish this.

(Franklin County)

Frappr seems to be a Google mapping application custom tailored to mapping various social groups (like the akbuilders) that share interests. It seems to be best suited for mapping individuals, and less flexible for multiple sub-groups like we've discussed.

The Google Map 'Make your own map' that I created a sample of is very easy to create. Do me it's a bit simpler because it focuses on mapping locations, and leaves out the 'social networking' angle. Being a big map geek myself (all types of maps), the simplicity and flexibility appeal to me.

Perhaps the next step is to secure danp's approval, and then ask the forum at large, if this appeals to them, and what they would be most likely to use the map for (focusing on that first).

(Philadelphia County)

I'll be programming a custom solution for businesses, maps, ratings etc. one day. Until that time people have had luck with frappr in the past.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking