Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Question on Clunker buy back

I have a question.

If you go to a dealer with a car thats say 2 years old. The dealer can sell that car as a used car for say 10,000. But he goes though the motions and get you the 4500 buy back. Who takes the lost for 6500 as the car can't be resoled. And can't be stripped by the dealer for parts. But the junk yard can strip it.

Default Re: Question on Clunker buy back

If the car is worth more than the 4500, the dealer will likely just treat it as a trade-in.

It's not _required_ to go through the CARS program whenever a low-MPG car is turned in.

eta: which means you have to BE CAREFUL. I would not put it past a car dealer to tell someone their SUV is worthless, give them 4500 for it, then turn around and sell it for 10000.

All program cars get destroyed.

It's a real shame, we have 1 jeep and 1 f-150, that are giong to the shedder.

(Lawrence County)

noone gets the spare parts. the junkyard couldn't do anything with them... legally they must be destroyed. every last piece. thank you government for an AWESOME program that will have my kid paying everyones new car payment! rock.
    "Do not use K-9 advantix on cats"

(Berks County)

I don't want your car!

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    noone gets the spare parts. the junkyard couldn't do anything with them... legally they must be destroyed. every last piece. thank you government for an AWESOME program that will have my kid paying everyones new car payment! rock.
    The guys I talk to say the take the tires off and drain the gas tanks pull like radios etc. to make their money

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    I was under the impression that only the engine and drivetrain had to be destroyed. The rest went to the scrapyard and they could do what they usually do with junkers (strip it down)

(Philadelphia County)

The dealer has to pour some nasty shit into the engine - I suppose through the carburetor/throttle body, but I don't know for sure. It is supposed to seize the engine and essentially disable it from every being run again. The dealer has to buy this stuff from some supplier, and it's not cheap (I don't know if the government picks up the tab on this or not).

I work for a Chevy dealer, and the owners of it own 5 or 6 other dealers in the area, and I was told we have already put out $750,000 of our own money towards these clunkers; the government hasn't forked over anything yet. So we're gonna have to disable these cars and trash 'em before we even see a dime. How messed up is that? I guess we have to trust the government.

Regarding the original post, if your car is worth $10k, it'll be treated as a trade-in. No one in their right mind will sell a car worth $10k and only get $4500 or $3500 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    The dealer has to pour some nasty shit into the engine - I suppose through the carburetor/throttle body, but I don't know for sure.
    The nasty shit is Sodium Silicate in Water. Initially, the solution is introduced into the oil system. The oil pump then pumps the solution throughout the motor. As the water evaporates, the Sodium Silicate solids bind to the metal surfaces of the engine, causing incredible heat and friction, which destroys the bearings and rings/cylinder walls in a very short period of time.

ETA: Here's a perfectly good Ford F-250 V10 being destroyed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4VTSCZJnq8
    Last edited by ehidle; August 11th, 2009 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    I have a question.

If you go to a dealer with a car thats say 2 years old. The dealer can sell that car as a used car for say 10,000. But he goes though the motions and get you the 4500 buy back. Who takes the lost for 6500 as the car can't be resoled. And can't be stripped by the dealer for parts. But the junk yard can strip it.
    I'll give ya a hint who takes the loss. If the dealer could sell it used for $10K what do you think they would give you for it in a normal trade in. But instead you took $4,500 for it....get it yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast