Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default I am AR15 Illiterate

I am very AR15 Illiterate.

I went to the RRA website to price some things, but unless I see a picture of item (referring to the drop down boxes) I don't know what the hell I am picking.

All I want is a
    flat top
    16" barrel
    either collapsable stock, or a short fixed stock
    Something nicer than just a plain pistol grip (the Hogue and the ERGO look nice)

I plan to use a red dot, with BUIS, so the standard front sight is fine, and I'll get a flip up rear.

I'd like it to be light.

I'd really like it if it can shoot Wolf ammo. I have heard some guys say that their AR won't feed Wolf. I don't know why, or if there is a reason, but I plan to practice with the cheapest ammo I can find.

I would like to find the least expensive rifle with these options and go from there.

Any thoughts?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(York County)

Default Re: I am AR15 Illiterate

Stubby's down in York was carrying a bunch of RRA items for awhile. Give him a call. Better yet, consider a Colt 6920 since they have come down to pre-panic prices as of late. Swtich the grip out for a Magpul MIAD and you meet everything on your list. My Colt or LMT will eat up the Wolf ammo with no problem. I've got an Aimpoint you can look at mounted on the LMT also.

I'm located 15 minutes north of Gettysburg, right along along rt15, right at the York/Adams county line. PM me if you want to check mine out for yourself to see what you are getting into.
    Last edited by Steelblitz; July 2nd, 2009 at 03:09 PM.

(Adams County)

I may need to go talk to Eric about it.

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that before I make a decision.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Allegheny County)

Sound like you want this one ...

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=217

The first one w/o a carry handle
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Blair County)

The best advice I can give you is: go to www.m4carbine.net, and start reading.

Not to rain on the parade, but unless you find one on the shelf, the wait time for RRA was measured in months, before the current unpleasantness.

The S&Ws are a lot of gun for the money. If you think you may someday want a railed forend, the 15X will save you money in the long run. Swapping a grip is a two minute procedure. The only guns I know of that are coming out of the box with a non standard grip are the LMTs, which come with a TangoDown.
    Last edited by DPB; July 5th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Allegheny County)

here is the gun you want:
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/58560

as was said S&W is a great gun for the money from what I know. I love my RRA, but the wait is a pain, and you will need to switch out the grip yourself. This rifle I linked to has all the options you want at a decent price right now.

(Philadelphia County)

Any AR that doesn't feed Wolf ammo is a crappy-built AR. I have never had any problem with Wolf in any AR I owned, borrowed or built. Failure to feed is usually due to the magazines or mismatched barrel and feed ramp cut, not the ammo unlike JHP vs ball for some handguns.

You are definitely seem to be A LOT more literate than me when I bought my first AR. I didn't do much research and just bought one that I thought looked good, a S&W M&P 15T. I guess in some ways I had faith in the gun manufacturers to make reliable guns. Not until I decided to build my own AR that I really got into all the different parts, acronyms, and conventions.

What great about the AR platform is that you can customize one to the Nth degree. I wouldn't worry too much about all the extra details and just get one in the specs you chose so far that fits your budget, then add and subtract as you see fits. One thing to remember is that any day you wait is one less day of your life NOT having the pleasure of owning an AR...so find one that's in stock and buy it rather than wait for RRA

Al

Go here:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/

Click on "Retailer Near You", and go from there. Davidson's has hundreds of new Bushmasters in stock, and every one of them comes with a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty. It is total nonsense to wait months for any AR-15. If you prefer a different brand Davidson's also carries S&W and Charles Daly as well. All at good prices. After you enter your Zip Code you can even shop for the best price and order directly on line and it will be delivered to the local shop of your choice. Your gun will be ready for pick up in 3 days or less. I've bought 5 AR-15's this way, and it's so easy I recommend it to anyone looking for an AR-15. Davidson's has all the current models of Bushmaster in stock, even the .50 BMG models. And as I said they are all guaranteed for life, just like a Craftsman tool. Bill T.