Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default How to make a bullet inhert?

I came across a .50 cal round that my Grandpap brought back from Korea circa 1951. I'd like to keep it intact as memorabilia from my Pap, but I don't really want a live round sitting on a display shelf. Is there anyway to safely remove the powder and primer without destroying the shell? It has a silver tip which I assume is armor piercing. I just hate the idea of leaving a 60 plus year old live round laying around the house!

(Washington County)

Default Re: How to make a bullet inhert?

Silver tip is probably an M8, Armor-Piercing Incendiary.

If you really want to make it inert, you could pull the bullet head and remove the powder and primer. Even at that, you still have the incendiary compound in the bullet itself.

I've heard that if you soak a round in oil,it will penetrate into the powder and primer and make them inert. Not sure how well that would work.

Personally, I would not have a problem with having a live round of that age in my collection. I don't think that it would degrade to the point that it would self ignite. Keep it away from extreme heat sources, and I don't think you would ever have a problem.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Default Re: How to make a bullet inhert?

If you can find a kinetic hammer that big, or a bullet puller, then you could pull the projectile off, dump the cordite and heat the promer to set it off... I know many people who used to drill the side of the round soak the insides then use the bullet as a key chain, I havent seen many around lately, might have been one of those 70's things.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly