Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Dan Wesson Pointman7

BearTitan recently let me run a mag through his ParaO 1911, and I gotta admit, I fell in love with the 1911 style!!! That was an awesome shooter!!! Thanks BT!!

I had been thinking about trying the IPSC shooting and having some fun, but I don't think the XD9SC will work too well... plus it gives me a legit excuse to buy another handgun!!!

I would probably prefer a single stack so I can add slim grips so my smallish hands can get a better grip. Went looking around on the net and at local gunshops for a decent first 1911, and I saw this...

I don't want to spend more than a grand on a new handgun, and this model looked real attractive. Features for the money it looked pretty good to my un1911educated eyes. It listed for 899 at Ace Sporting goods, and I found several on the net for 749 and 799.

For all the 1911 guys out there, how do the Dan Wesson models compare to the SA, Taurus, Kimber, etc models? Any opinions? The Springfield "Loaded" models looked like strong contenders for the money too.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Dan Wesson Pointman7

Here's mine. I can't speak highly enough about it. It came with everything out of the box that some folks pay a lot of money to do after market. If you get one, you won't be sorry.

(Lycoming County)

Better steel than either the Taurus, or the SA. I'd step over 5 "MIM-bers" to get to one. The earlier ones, from the Bob Serva era, which glassman's appears to be, are extra fine. For about the same money, you can have an STI Trojan, which I really like.
    Last edited by Average Baer; September 23rd, 2007 at 03:42 PM.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

i've been looking at the 10mm version..

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    Here's mine. I can't speak highly enough about it. It came with everything out of the box that some folks pay a lot of money to do after market. If you get one, you won't be sorry.
    That looks nice!!! Have you had anything done to it? How many rounds through the pipe? Did you get it locally to you?

(Lycoming County)

Here's one that's been tricked.

Some nice acoutrement aswell.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Average Baer View Post
    Here's one that's been tricked.

Some nice acoutrement aswell.
    can't view it w/out being a member... can you relink it?

(Delaware County)

It came out of the box as you see it. No need to do anything at all as it was already done at the factory. Tolerances are tight, ergonomics are great, trigger is like butter and it is the most accurate gun I own. Weight is heavy enough to absorb the recoil but not so heavy that it is bothersome. I have between 750 and 1000 rounds down range without a problem of any kind. The only thing on the negative side is that the edges of the lettering are raised a bit and it catches my patches when I clean it (nit picking). Also, the grips are supposed to be wooden cocobolo but mine came through with plastic. I called CZ about it and they assured me that they were shipped with wood grips and were probably switched out by someone after it left the factory (I suspect the middle man who provides to my local shop). I ordered it on a thursday and it came in on the following tuesday.

(Luzerne County)

We sell a ton of Dan Wessons....the Commander Bobtail (CBOB) and the PM7.

As a matter of fact, my carry piece is a CBOB.

When people are looking at Kimber, SA, Taurus, et cetera.....all I have to do is bring out the Dan Wesson, and ask them look at the part quality, slide frame fit, overall fit, and finish.... Upon doing so, the different is abundantly clear.

The PM7 has a great slide frame fit, excellent trigger, Ed Brown grip safety, I believe the slide stop is Ed Brown as well. It has a metal meain spring housing. The safety is beefy and functions properly.

Really a top notch gun......much better and a Kimber and it is more affordable to boot.

When I sell a CBOB or PM7, not only do I get positive feedback, but the feedback usually includes their desire/intention to buy the other Dan Wesson model as well.

One customer bought a CBOB, then the PM7, then the Razorback, and finally had me get a custom dual caliber CBOB 10mm w/ a .40SW conversion setup.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Chris
    AdvancedArms.com
    Chris

570-655-GUNS (4867)
    NEW STORE HOURS!!!!
    Class III Dealer

(Luzerne County)

Glassman,

All of our DWs come with wood grips.....and I noticed the CBOBs usually have the serial # on one of the grips as well....this may be due to compression against a second serial engraving on the frame under the grip or CZ my serialize the grips to the gun....I would have to inspect it again.

Most distributors, do not touch the guns....I doubt it was a distributor that swapped the grips...... I have never had that experience.

If the gun was brand new, my guess is that dealer/shop swapped/took the grips.
    Chris

570-655-GUNS (4867)
    NEW STORE HOURS!!!!
    Class III Dealer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast