Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Question multiple firarms purchases

If I understand correctly, multiple handgun purchases within a thirty-day timeframe have to be reported to the BATF and the local or state police.

Is that correct, and more imprtant is it any big deal? Is there any reason I should expect a visit from the authorities if I buy a second handgun this month?

Note: didn't see the existing thread on this topic before I posted
    Last edited by novice; August 4th, 2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: another thread on this topic

(Berks County)

Default Re: multiple firarms purchases

If the BATF visited you when you bought multiple pistols in the same month, they would have opened a field office in my neighborhood.

I have done this countless times and, to my knowledge, have never had anyone take an interest in me.

i bought 3 pistols in 2wks after i turned 21, and i've bought more than 1 rifle in a day.... as sscuster said they'd have a few officers assigned to just me

(Blair County)

bought 2 on the same day back in feb. still no knocks on my door.
    I just flew the Millennium Falcon through the hole in your logic 2A6X1

(Westmoreland County)

I bought 4 guns in 3 weeks once...1 of them was even an evil black rifle! I haven't heard anything yet. But I may be on "The List!"

have they done this in? i thought that was a myth?! maybe if your buying 250 AK's a month but for 3 or 4guns? i'd doubt it

(Montgomery County)

If you purchase more than 1 handgun (only handguns) in 5 business days from one dealer that dealer is required to report this to the BATF along with local and state authorities. This doesn't mean that you will get a visit from the BATFE. This is supposed to be a method of stopping straw pruchases.

If you pick up 3 or 4 hi-points or other inexpensive items, or multiples of the same type (say 3 glock 17's), then you may draw some attention. I have made multiple purchases more times then I can recall and have never been questioned, but they were more high end / collector type items.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgh View Post
    If you purchase more than 1 handgun (only handguns) in 5 business days from one dealer that dealer is required to report this to the BATF along with local and state authorities. This doesn't mean that you will get a visit from the BATFE. This is supposed to be a method of stopping straw pruchases.
    So say I bought a XD45 from a dealer near me, then I go to cabala's and find something I like later that week but with in the 5 days, Does that mean I'm good because it wasn't at the same dealer or do I still get put on some list somewhere and could possably be expcting a visit from the men in black ?

Kris

(Centre County)

kkibbey,
    As a FFL I do not know, when you come into my business, how many handguns you have bought in the last 5 days. The paperwork for me is if you buy more than one handgun within 5 a day period. Also, multiple handgun sales at the same time require multiple PSP Application/Record of Sales forms to be filled out and signed. Only one handgun can go on the form. That said, only one PICS is done at that time. So, if you buy 3 handguns at the same time there will be 1 PICS check and 3 PA forms and 2 BATFE forms that get filled out.

Hope this helps.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

yes, it does help me try to figure it out, I was just trying to decide if I should go to cabalas this weekend because I know that if I go Ill get something I already bought an XD this week. and I really don't want to be on any lists or be expecting a visit or anything like that.

thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast