Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Exclamation Legal issues for 18 year old..

So i am an 18 year old freshman college student this fall. I have always had a passion for guns and grew up with them started shooting around 5 and have just always loved it along with hunting and archery. I am a law-abiding citizen so thats why i turned to this site. I would like to build a 10" pistol ar15. I know you have to be 18 to buy lower receivers but to obtain one i could purchase on as a complete rifle or it could be gifted to me. My dad already talked to me about building a pistol ar so i could shoot it at the range while at the same time applying for the sbr stamp which would easily be waited on while at college. Ive heard of trusts and the individual routes. My questions are (What do i need to do to build a pistol AR? or apply for an SBR tax stamp as an 18 year old) also (Can i be on a trust with my father at the age of 18) The trust seems to be the better route because if my dad builds a suppressed ar or short barrel or whatever nfa item is on it i can always use it without him being present and the item can be left right in the trust after he passes. Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks guys.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Legal issues for 18 year old..

I believe you have to be 21 to purchase a stripped lower, since it is classified as 'other'. I believe you also need to be 21 for NFA items
    IANAL

(Lehigh County)

You do not need a tax stamp for an ar pistol. A sbr, yes you do need one. You must also start with a virgin lower, do not take a lower from a rifle and build a pistol. You do not need a trust, a tax stamp or anything else. I have a 7.5" ar pistol. The easiest way to do it:
    1) Buy a new lower - $100
    2) build a pistol, use a pistol stock
    3) That's it, you're done
    It basically goes by the stock you have on it, put on a pistol stock and the barrel size does not matter.

(Lancaster County)

A pistol AR is not an SBR, it's a handgun.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    I believe you have to be 21 to purchase a stripped lower, since it is classified as 'other'.
    I "think" that might be true for an FFL, but there is no state or federal law against him buying one FTF. Obviously it would be simplest for his dad to buy him one as a gift.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by SNAFUG36 View Post
    I believe you have to be 21 to purchase a stripped lower, since it is classified as 'other'. I believe you also need to be 21 for NFA items
    IANAL
    Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I "think" that might be true for an FFL, but there is no state or federal law against him buying one FTF. Obviously it would be simplest for his dad to buy him one as a gift.
    You both are correct, except the NFA thing in bold.

Federal law prohibits the sale of federally defined "firearms" to anyone under 21, except rifles and shotguns, from a FFL.

Since a receiver is not a rifle or shotgun, a FFL cannot transfer one to a person under 21.

Federal law then regulates private transfers of handguns to persons under 18yo.

Legally a receiver can be privately transferred to anyone 18yo or older. That person can then make a handgun from it so long as state/local laws do not prohibit possession/assembly - which PA doesn't prohibit.

A person 18yo or older can also SBR the gun via NFA rules. The NFA rules only prohibit transfers from FFL's of NFA devices to those under 21yo. A 18yo person can apply for a tax stamp to manufacture(Form 1) a SBR.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!