Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default New WASR-10 ! The good, the bad and the really UGLY!

I picked up my $350 WASR-10 AK from Dunhams today!

I decided to add one of these blued steel wonders to my collection because Barrack Obama told me to a few weeks ago.

I was never a fan of the AK platform, and never wanted one. I have passed up thousands of them over the years to fund my AR and M1 Garand projects. I also own a few SKS type rifles including one of those ugly ducklings that takes AK mags. As bad as I hated the AK rifle, I decided to add at least one to my collection while I still could.

My rifle came in a cardboard box with a oil bottle, 2 30 round mags and a leather sling that dosent look like it will even fit the gun.

The laminated stock set looks to have been finished with a grinder. Inside the shoulder stock is a metal tube containing a cleaning kit like the ones in the SKS rifles. It damn near tears your finger off trying to remove it. The best thing about the wood is that they did remove the branches and leaves before they sent it out.

The metal is scratched, gouged and just plain beat. I checked the rifle for front sight cant, and this is what I came up with. The receiver cover is wavy, and canted to the left just a bit. The gas tube assy is canted to the right a tad. The front sight is canted to the left a smidge. The front sight post is adjusted all the way to the right. When you add all of these up, your mind explodes and everything just blurrs into "PERFECT STRAIGHTNESS"!!!

The steel magazines lock into place with a huge snap....and then wobble back and forth while rocking forward to rear almost as bad. I tried to rip it out of the gun....but they seem to lock in place without worry of falling out.

Every internal part inside the rifle shows massive machine marks and swirls as if they put them there on purpose. All of the pins and rivets are crooked and deformed.

Before I brought this thing home I had planned on adding a Polymer stock set, muzzle break and Gun Kote finish. After looking it over, I think I might drag it to the range behind my truck every time I shoot it.

I can't think of one aftermarket part that this POS deserves!

I can't wait to shoot this giant turd! Next to the M-44 and the Swiss straight pull....this is the finest battle rifle I have ever held in my hands.

I give it 3 thumbs up out of a possible 2.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New WASR-10 ! The good, the bad and the really UGLY!

Don't hold back how you really feel.

I'm really surprised. I picked up an AK from Dunhams and short of the slightest bit of front site cant. It was in really good shape internally, externally, bore, all the FCG... everything. And its a decent shooter.

Maybe they let the closet monkey put yours together? Sounds awful. How about pics of the sucker so we can all point like rubber neckers at an accident.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Don't hold back how you really feel.

I'm really surprised. I picked up an AK from Dunhams and short of the slightest bit of front site cant. It was in really good shape internally, externally, bore, all the FCG... everything. And its a decent shooter.

Maybe they let the closet monkey put yours together? Sounds awful. How about pics of the sucker so we can all point like rubber neckers at an accident.
    Dont get me wrong... I have high hopes that this war axe will run like a top and go thousands of rounds without issues.

But it is what it is....and thats just plain ugly!

I knew exactly what i was buying...and in todays market....I would have paid $400 for it easy. Every law abiding American citizen should own a wasr-10. It's like that ugly mutt you bring home for the kids.

(Allegheny County)

Well let's see the ugly little duckling then. We all like train wrecks.

Most* of that can be fixed with a little patience and $ if you are willing. WCS with the way things are going you could flip it in favor of one in better shape?

Dump that one on gun broker and search the classifieds here maybe?

Gotta love those century belt sander techs!!!!!!!

Open the mag opening, everything will be fine!!!!!!

Spend the winter sanding and polishing the wood, you will have a winner!!!

(Bedford County)

You guys need to help me name this bitch. I was thinking "reno" after Miss janet...but I'm open to suggestions.

(Blair County)

Err... Umm.. Uhhh...

I call BS!

Yeah Buckmark, I know you scored. But you've been around here long enough to know we need pics! Range reports! WTF?

Oh, and I noticed my phone didn't ring this morning about going for breakfast...
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Err... Umm.. Uhhh...

I call BS!

Yeah Buckmark, I know you scored. But you've been around here long enough to know we need pics! Range reports! WTF?

Oh, and I noticed my phone didn't ring this morning about going for breakfast...

1. I dont have any naked pics of my wife, so I damn sure didnt take any pics of a stripped down cheapo AK.

2. I just might let you be the first to shoot this war axe...so you can post the damn range report.

3. I had the wife and daughter with me today. If we would have had breakfast, you would have ended up playing Littlest Pet Shop with my daughter on a pink Nintendo DS.

(Philadelphia County)

If all is well with the universe the WASR will do what it is interned to do, Go BANG in bad weather, cold, heat, rain, Like a postal worker, It should always be there for you even during the 50 paid holidays!
    Werent meant to look pretty.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    1. I dont have any naked pics of my wife, so I damn sure didnt take any pics of a stripped down cheapo AK.

2. I just might let you be the first to shoot this war axe...so you can post the damn range report.

3. I had the wife and daughter with me today. If we would have had breakfast, you would have ended up playing Littlest Pet Shop with my daughter on a pink Nintendo DS.
    1. You don't have any naked pics of your wife? Hell, I don't either. Bummer.

2. If I can shoot it first I'll buy the ammo! (just don't expect much of a range report)

3a. I gave up on you calling and went to breakfast with my nephew & his family. Had a great time. (didn't even have to buy a rifle before coming home)

3b. What the hell is a Nintendo DS?
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast