Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Help!!

Hello, a while back I purchased a mossberg 22 from dicks sporting goods. I never used it, and recently a friend of mine offered to buy it from me. He is of age and legally able to purchase this firearm. My biggest concern is how do I get my name off of this gun because I registered with the ATF when I bought it so now that it wont be mine I wouldn't want them knocking on my front door if anything. How can I do this?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by rmancrusader View Post
    Hello, a while back I purchased a mossberg 22 from dicks sporting goods. I never used it, and recently a friend of mine offered to buy it from me. He is of age and legally able to purchase this firearm. My biggest concern is how do I get my name off of this gun because I registered with the ATF when I bought it so now that it wont be mine I wouldn't want them knocking on my front door if anything. How can I do this?
    How did you register with the ATF, and why would they knock on your door?

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Chester County)

Oh boy. Here we go.

When you purchased the firearm, you did not register it with the ATF. I am guessing you purchased it in PA, and if I am right you filled out forms as a record of sale that go to the PSP. There is no national or state gun registration. Please search this forum for the legalities of long arm transfer.
    God Created Man. Sam Colt made them equal.
    FU BHO.

(Philadelphia County)

Accordind to what I read around here, a bill of sale would suffice, so if the gun were used in a crime I would not be held responsible as long as I had the bill of sale with both parties signatures?

(Washington County)

That would cover you. As long as you are sure they arent a prohibited person, you should be good.

Do you homework, or take it to an FFL. There are a few here that are members and inexpensive.

(not legal advice)

(Lebanon County)

Accordind to what I read around here, a bill of sale would suffice, so if the gun were used in a crime I would not be held responsible as long as I had the bill of sale with both parties signatures?

If your main concern is what actions your "friend" may do with the gun that you can get blamed for after the fact you might want to rethink who your selling it to.

With that being said as other members posted find a good local shop and go there to do the unrequired PICS transfer or just use the bill of sale form thats posted here on the forum.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Columbia County)

If you bought it in PA, you didn't register it. You can legally sell a long gun to your friend if he is not prohibited for any reason without a FFL, background check, etc. You can type up/write out a bill of sale and have him sign it.

Although not required, I would personally take any gun I would sell to an FFL and have it transferred that way. This is only because the PSP keeps an illegal gun sales database and records are kept that show ownership. Until that goes away, I feel much better completely washing my hands of a gun if I will sell it. I never know for sure where the gun will end up and what will be done with it. I don't want to have to be put into a situation where someone knocks on my door when a crime is committed and I have to scramble to find a bill of sale I wrote out myself. YMMV.

On the other hand, I would have no problem buying a long gun without going through a FFL. Bottom line: I prefer to look out for #1 if at all possible... because not many other people are looking out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeling365 View Post
    If your main concern is what actions your "friend" may do with the gun that you can get blamed for after the fact you might want to rethink who your selling it to.
    I'll personally say, 90% of the people I know or associate with, I dont know "well enough"! Any one can get there name in the papers. Any way as was said, a bill of sale suffices.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Philadelphia County)

Please excuse my ignorance, what does FFL stand for?

(Montgomery County)

Federal Firearms Licensee - virtually any retail gun dealer. Holder of a Federal Firearms License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast