Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default New wording on Form 4473 means you could lose gun rights by following state law.....

Was at my LGS today. He showed me the newly worded 4473 form. If you use marijuana for a medically approved reason in PA you are disqualified from purchasing a firearm under federal regulations. If you answer "no" to the question as to use and have a prescription (in other words - you lied) the state might find out as prescriptions for legal marijuana use may show up on background checks. people need to realize this before embarking on this course of treatment. here is a quote I found. I don't remember the news source.

"The federal government just doubled down on its efforts to keep guns away from cannabis patients and legal adult-use marijuana consumers.

The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has long had an existing ban on gun sales to anyone who uses marijuana. The ban was upheld in a controversial 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling in August; a medical marijuana patient in Nevada said the ban violated the Second Amendment, but the 9th Circuit unanimously agreed that pot and other drug use “raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”
    More on gun permits and medical marijuana.

Now the ATF is releasing a revised version of Form 4473 — the federal Firearms Transaction Record and considered “ATF’s most important form,” according to an ATF representative — that adds a new warning statement reminding applicants that marijuana is still considered federally illegal despite state laws allowing medical marijuana or recreational use. In other words: The ATF doesn’t want gun sellers or buyers to mistake the increasingly common state-legal cannabis for the nonexistent federally legal marijuana."

Maybe some of you are more up on this than I am. I just found out and wanted to share. Caveat - I haven't and never intend to use marijuana legally or otherwise. I'm just in this for the discussion and examination of the paradox that following what the state deems as legal is still illegal in the eyes of the ATF for gun buying purposes. I am not sure that I don't disagree with them. Anyway, I thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: New wording on Form 4473 means you could lose gun rights by following state law..

Looks like I'm going to continue using Lumigan drops for my Glaucoma now.
    NRA Life Member

(Berks County)

Default Re: New wording on Form 4473 means you could lose gun rights by following state law..

Looks like I'll continue buying my guns without a background check just like 40% of all gun sales according to a 'study'.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Northumberland County)

dont that appy to certain controlled substances like narcotics? hydrocodone and oxycodone? because its similiar to marijuania in the schedule II controlled substance? the cannibus was in illegal form now is in the legal form.

Just because something isn't banned by state law doesn't mean that you can ignore Federal law, or vice-versa. ATF can issue you an FFL for your city apartment, but if local zoning bars that, you can't run your "gun shop" from there. Or Pennsylvania may have no law against making your own spaceship, but the Feds will likely have some issues with it.

The NFA says we can have bombs, if we pre-register them. PA law says we can't. So we can't.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Nothing changed - they just clarified the question. Marijuana remains illegal at the Federal level. The ATF Form 4473 is a Federal form - so the questions on the form pertain to Federal law, not state law.

(Lancaster County)

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Have you seen the latest form? What can you make out of this?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

Nothing has changed with regard to marijuana. It was illegal at the federal level while the old form was in use and it is still illegal at the federal level with the new form.

2011 ATF Open Letter Addressing Marijuana

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You're fine, just make sure to:
    - add "Jr/Sr/II/III" to your last name and write out your entire middle name.
    - not renounce your citizenship
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast