Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default NY daily news spreads false info

Look at this mess..

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ting_guns.html

Terror watch list wouldn't have stopped Fort Hood killer Nidal Malik Hasan from buying guns

Michael Daly

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 4:00 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz0We42dMO4

Let's say the FBI had investigated Nidal Malik Hasan and put him on the terrorist watch list. He still would have passed the background check at Guns Galore.

He still would have strolled out with the 20-round FN Five-Seven semiautomatic officials say he used to kill 13 at Fort Hood.

If you doubt that, consider this:

Over a five-year period, 962 people who ARE on the terrorist watch list sought to buy a firearm legally.

Of these, 90%, or 864, were allowed to make the purchase.

The 10% who were denied between February of 2004 and February of 2009 were turned away because they had a felony conviction or another disqualifier that would have barred any applicant.

"Under federal and state law, neither suspected nor actual membership in a terrorist organization is a stand-alone factor that would prohibit a person from receiving or possessing a firearm," the Government Accounting Office noted back in 2005.

The same insanity applies to explosives, which one person on the terror list tried to buy.

"He was approved," the GAO reported.

For four years, Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.) has introduced legislation to let the government deny firearms and explosives to people on the suspected terrorist list.

Each time, the bill died in the House Judiciary Committee.

"It goes to committee and just sits there," King said yesterday. "It's been going on for a while."

Terrorists no doubt get a pretty good laugh when they are barred from flying, but not from buying weapons. They can thank the NRA and those in Congress intimidated by the gun lobby.

The NRA says it is worried that people who are mistakenly on the list are being deprived of the sacred right to buy a deadly weapon.

Never mind that there are established procedures for people who do not belong on the list to get their names taken off.

Never mind that the vast majority of the people who belong on the list have clean records and would have no trouble acquiring a weapon under present rules.

The NRA has enabled hundreds of people on the terror list to acquire weapons rather than allow a few legitimate people to experience a brief delay.

And, the NRA pledges to continue doing so.

"We are going to fight," its chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, pledges. He has the gall to say this when we are at war. No doubt our enemies are glad to hear it.

Of course, even if Congress were to make it as hard for a terror suspect to buy a firearm as board an airliner, there would still be the gun show loophole.

At gun shows, nobody has to submit to a background check. All you need is a state ID and, most importantly, money.

The NRA is a tool of the gun industry. It crusades against gun control and people buy firearms. The industry grasps even more profits with its hot, live hands. Money is money, even if it comes from criminals or terrorists.

In the case of FN Five-seven, the weapon has become a hot seller with the Mexican drug cartels, which call it "matapolicias," or cop killer. One law enforcement group calls it, "an assault rifle that fits in your pocket." A YouTube video shows how easy a gunman can load a 20-shot magazine.

"Gun is ready to go again," the video advises. "Get it." Which is exactly what Hasan did.

We can be sure the FBI will be quicker to investigate those who communicate with known Al Qaeda sympathizers. What Congress needs to do is make no-fly also mean no-buy.

mdaly@nydailynews.com
    Related Topics

Default Re: NY daily news spreads false info

Not surprising in the least....

(Chester County)

He still would have strolled out with the 20-round FN Five-Seven semiautomatic officials say he used to kill 13 at Fort Hood.
    Wierd, I thought it was a beretta 92/m9 - I guess there goes the argument that the FN 5.7 round can't kill.

(Luzerne County)

I read this today, and to tell the truth I knew it was coming. Michael Daly is the most anti-gun person in the world. he has been spewing this filth for yrs.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Aside from the bolded line I think this is a decent article and shows that no matter what if a person wants a weapon they will get one. I don't mind that membership in a "terrorist organization" is not a stand alone factor in firearms ownership. It isn't a stretch to think some knucklehead might label PAFOA as a terrorist organization. Would we then want to see how tough it is to keep our firearms if membership in a "terrorist organization" were a stand alone prohibitor?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Aside from the bolded line I think this is a decent article and shows that no matter what if a person wants a weapon they will get one. I don't mind that membership in a "terrorist organization" is not a stand alone factor in firearms ownership. It isn't a stretch to think some knucklehead might label PAFOA as a terrorist organization. Would we then want to see how tough it is to keep our firearms if membership in a "terrorist organization" were a stand alone prohibitor?
    this line:

"What Congress needs to do is make no-fly also mean no-buy."

is the real problem.

this is saying congress should pass the bill that says if you get on the terrorist watch list, you cannot buy guns.

the problem is that many, many innocent people are on the terrorist watch list...and once you get on it (even if mistakenly), it is about impossible to get off of it. there is no due process involved in getting your name on the list and there is effectively no due process available to get off of it.

(the article's characterization of the accuracy of the list and the ability to get your name off of it are completely inaccurate. there has been a ton of documentation of this...including congressmen who have gotten on the list and had trouble getting off of it. if you want me to provide some citations, let me know. i assume, though, that most people here are well aware of the issue.)

thus, "no fly means no buy" translates into innocent people's 2nd amendment rights being taken away without due process. that is obviously unacceptable.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; November 12th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
    F*S=k

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    this line:

"What Congress needs to do is make no-fly also mean no-buy."

is the real problem.

this is saying congress should pass the bill that says if you get on the terrorist watch list, you cannot buy guns.

the problem is that many, many innocent people are on the terrorist watch list...and once you get on it (even if mistakenly), it is about impossible to get off of it. there is no due process involved in getting your name on the list and there is effectively no due process available to get off of it.

(the article's characterization of the accuracy of the list and the ability to get your name off of it are completely inaccurate. there has been a ton of documentation of this...including congressmen who have gotten on the list and had trouble getting off of it. if you want me to provide some citations, let me know. i assume, though, that most people here are well aware of the issue.)

thus, "no fly means no buy" translates into innocent people's 2nd amendment rights being taken away without due process. that is obviously unacceptable.
    I'll be honest, I only read the first 1/4 of the article then scanned. I missed that line, but was thinking the article was pointing out that no matter what a person will get a weapon if they want one. My post = FAIL I guess, but my point is still that just being on one of those lists or even being confirmed to actually belong to a "terrorist organization" should not be a single item disqualifier for firearms ownership.

(Lehigh County)

Is there ANY state that won't run the type of background stuff that PA does?

Just another reason that education to the public about the truth (not opinion, actual FACTS) is the best stratagy.. The amount of misunderstanding about Gun laws and the process of buying and carrying one legally is staggering.

(Lehigh County)

It is irrelevant where or how he bought a gun, or that he passed a background check. If he instead decided to blow up a building with a truckload of ANFO, do you think anyone would be blaming the Home Depots and Lowes' hardware stores that he got the fertilizer from? Or the Radio Shack where he bought the electronic components to build a crude detonator?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Chester County)

daly is an asshole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast