Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Detained by an Alaska State Trooper

This incident occured about 11:40 a.m. in front of Safeway located in Homer, Alaska.

Most Alaska State Troopers are not like the story I'll mention below. All police in Alaska I've ever came in contact with never have a problem with me.

*I'm wearing a duty belt, safariland level2, XD 45 compact, ammo holder, and an extra full mag*

I was walking in the to local grocery store, and this guy dressed normally walks up behind me asking if I'm a police officer. I turn around, say no and see his badge. He tells me to stand still and not make any sudden movements while he reaches down and extracts my gun from the holster. Amazing thing it took him about 25 seconds to flip down the locking device and pull the weapon out.

Anyway, he goes on how its illegal to OC, especially since I'm not a cop. Giong in to a public place is illegal while carrying a gun, etc etc etc. He tells me I'll go to jail on charges of assault. Then I tell him what the law is, and there are no laws on OC. So he proceeds to tell me I'm still young, sometime I tell him my age and he keeps spewing stuff about how he is right. I tell him Alaska is an open carry state, just like Vermont, and he still tells me I'm wrong, I'll be charged with assault. I asked him if he was a state trooper or an officer of Homer, he stated he is a state trooper who is located in Anchor Point. *anchor point is 20 miles away from homer*

Oh well the best part I know you ALL *LOVE*... He said I'm breaking the law and I'll be charged with *chuckle* Disorderly Conduct.

3 policeman show up from the Homer Police Department, I know two knew me, but I don't know if the 3rd knew me. They check my ID, which I don't mind, I think they were just trying to get the state trooper to go away. He told them I was open carrying my gun in to a store full of people, he has his family there in Homer, etc etc.

I work for the City of Homer under their paycheck and under contract work which doesn't have anything to do with the as needed part time job. I must say, it is rather embarrassing to to be in front of acquintainces of which they all know you.

After the state trooper departed, the officers apologized. *smile* Those guys are great. ^_^ They conversed with me, since I tend to ask many questions, and even report people who litter the streets with cig butts and other rubbish. They know I'm not threatening, and I informed them of many reasons I like to open carry, even the one where I like educating the random person who asks me questions on firearms or protection. Some people just converse with me about random stuff though too. I think... this gun has turned in to a social magnet, which isn't such a bad thing(for me only) since I've grown a tad anti-social, open carrying has actually forced me to talk to people and solved many issues which occur with people in small towns.

They politely recommended I store the firearm in my car for now. I asked for the day, they said, yeah. Which I've to agree, I don't want to run in to this state trooper while in the store again which he might be in since I didn't see if he left or entered the store. Anyway, I went to my car, placed my gun in the box then locked the car. I went to the store to do my business left, etc.

Will I be informing the State Trooper office in Anchor Point about this officer? half half. I don't know why the guy was acting like he did. He may have been tired or previously upset. Most of the state troopers are very nice and understand open carry laws. I'm going to just send a polite letter asking the State Trooper office to please bring their officers up to date with the current laws.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Detained by an Alaska State Trooper

There's one in every crowd.

Sounds like a case of minority Furre oppression.

(Monroe County)

I definitely would report him. He had no right to take your weapon without permission and he TOOK it, didn't ask you to hand it over or anything... theft?

technically if he touched you when he was wrongly seizing your weapon... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I definitely would report him. He had no right to take your weapon without permission and he TOOK it, didn't ask you to hand it over or anything... theft?

technically if he touched you when he was wrongly seizing your weapon... :P
    Well thats actually quite funny. I'll make sure to mention it. Like I said I'm not a person who will go hard on people here. People in Alaska are quite different, though I think because the population is lower people are nice to people. When I send my letter to the chief, he will handle the officer appropriately.

Yeah, well I don't actually have to give or allow the officer to take the weapon if I'm open carrying, how funny.

Part of the statute below.
    Sec. 11.61.220. Misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree.

(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person

(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,

(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to

(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or

(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;

(Susquehanna County)

Holy Shit to the Dickson City Dozen we can add the Alaskan One. Must be a Police moon out somewhere

He tells you that YOU will be charged with assault, and then HE TAKES YOUR gun? Isn't that a little bit like the pot calling the kettle black?

(Indiana County)

First the state trooper threatens you with an assualt charge, and, when that doesn't work, threatens you with a disorderly conduct charge? And then, when all is said and done, he wanders off doing nothing?

Don't know if I'm feeling froggier due to the Dickson City Incident or not, but I'd definitely be writing a letter of complaint to the trooper's boss. Likewise, when the local police recommended you hide the sidearm, a respectful declination would have been in order. Slink away and behave meekfully? I don't think so.

Of course, I am 60 years old, so my viewpoint and life experiences may differ from yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    First the state trooper threatens you with an assualt charge, and, when that doesn't work, threatens you with a disorderly conduct charge? And then, when all is said and done, he wanders off doing nothing?

Don't know if I'm feeling froggier due to the Dickson City Incident or not, but I'd definitely be writing a letter of complaint to the trooper's boss. Likewise, when the local police recommended you hide the sidearm, a respectful declination would have been in order. Slink away and behave meekfully? I don't think so.

Of course, I am 60 years old, so my viewpoint and life experiences may differ from yours.
    I'm 23, and getting old!

The people at the Homer police department are very dear to me. I don't mind them specifically recommending. They just didn't want the trooper who may not have left to see me going to the store back with a loaded firearm and starting a shitstorm. I'll update the story after this post.

Situation reported the the Captain of the Kenai State Trooper office.

I tried, but it was too hard to just conceal the person's identity, so the state trooper is being investigated by internal affairs and the captain. He called the Homer police department and spoke to one of the three officers on the scene.

After he got off the phone with the officer at the police department, I spoke to the officer and apologized for opening an can of worms, but I had to inform the state trooper office. He agreed, and all was alright. I asked him to tell the others I apoligize if it is an inconvienence. Most people want to go do something meaningful, but have to deal with crap because some guy who is a trooper detained, confiscated a weapon, and ID'd for no reason a citizen.

I received a formal apology over the phone from the Captain. I explained to him I don't want the person to get in to trouble, a simple talking to would do. He still told me afterwards he was very sorry again, and there was NO reason even legally for me to be detained or anything which happened after.

Wasting the City of Homer resources over a non-incident? I think he will definitely get flack over that as well.

End of Story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast