Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Auto knives in PA: LE exemption

I'll start this by saying that the ban on automatic knives in PA is silly, and I believe that they should be fully legalized, and preempted just like firearms.

So, I'm LE, and I'm looking to carry a Microtech Ultratech OTF knife at work while on duty. I'm thinking that under state law, this would be considered an automatic, or "switchblade" knife.
    I've looked through the law book, and can only find an LE exemption to the prohibited weapons statue for blackjacks.
    Am I missing something?
    Any help that can be provided would be great. Thanks guys.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

(Perry County)

Default Re: Auto knives in PA: LE exemption

You aren't missing anything. It's illegal. And a lot of guys carry them so take that for what it's worth.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Chester County)

I have heard and read from numerous sources including PA LEO's that LE can indeed carry autos. I'm more of a knife collector than gun collector and that is the common knowledge amongst us PA residents. Would be interesting if we were all wrong.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteMotors View Post
    I have heard and read from numerous sources including PA LEO's that LE can indeed carry autos.
    Haven't we established by now that "I heard it from a LEO so it must be true" is synonymous with "I read it on the internet so it must be true"?

Break it down!

§ 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.

(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.

(b) Exceptions.--

(1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. § 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.

(2) This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of offensive weapons.

(3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

(d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:

(1) Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L.359, No.120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(2) Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(3) Pennsylvania State Police officers.

(4) Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(5) Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(6) Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.

(7) Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

(Dec. 20, 1983, P.L.291, No.78, eff. imd.; July 6, 1984, P.L.647, No.134, eff. 90 days; July 11, 1985, P.L.235, No.58, eff. 60 days; Oct. 4, 1994, P.L.571, No.84, eff. 60 days; Nov. 6, 2002, P.L.1096, No.132, eff. 60 days)

2002 Amendment. Act 132 amended subsec. (c).

References in Text. The act of June 18, 1974 (P.L.359, No.120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law, referred to in subsection (d)(1), was repealed by the act of December 19, 1996 (P.L.1158, No.177). The subject matter is now contained in Subchapter D of Chapter 21 of Title 53 (Municipalities Generally).

Cross References. Section 908 is referred to in section 6105 of this title; section 3304 of Title 5 (Athletics and Sports).

Just remember if you get arrested for it lawyer up, shut up and don't talk to the Police. I am sure someone will be along shortly to post that video.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Why would you want an auto-opening knife when the spring-assisted knives are every bit as fast, and twice as well built?

Seriously, I carry several open-assist knives and I've had good quality switchblades. I prefer the 'assisted' knives. Very quick, and VERY well built.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by splink View Post
    Haven't we established by now that "I heard it from a LEO so it must be true" is synonymous with "I read it on the internet so it must be true"?
    Jeez I walked right into that one didn't I? Haha. I didn't want to type the extended version, reading codes and comparing with enforcement trends which they most certainly do on knife forums.

As for assisted openers, it's a moot point for us civilians because autos are no better in any way.

The thread, however, is about officers carrying autos, not civilians.

What exactly would a law enforcement officer use a switchblade for?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by the deer hunter View Post
    What exactly would a law enforcement officer use a switchblade for?
    My cosin is a cop, he carrys one, i guess they are now teaching that if a perp goes for your gun while its in the holster that they she try and keep their hand on the holstered forearm and with their non dominant hand stab them with a knife if need be. A lot of people including him have trouble opening even a spring assisted knife with their non dominant hand, so he got an automatic knife so now he just has to move the switch with his thumb.
    IANAL

There is no exemption.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast