Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Should I be afraid?

At this moment I am saving funds for my first high powered rifle, a 5.56 AR-15. However thinking about it the largest rifle caliber I ever shot was .22LR. Reading the spec's on these rifles I am impressed how they can handle 60k+ PSI time and time again. However now that I know what pressures these rifles operate at I am somewhat concerned for my safety and of the others operating my rifles. Do you think I am overreacting to the issue? I am just looking for peace of mind because otherwise it's going to ruin the joy I get from operating rifles. Thanks.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Should I be afraid?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    At this moment I am saving funds for my first high powered rifle, a 5.56 AR-15. However thinking about it the largest rifle caliber I ever shot was .22LR. Reading the spec's on these rifles I am impressed how they can handle 60k+ PSI time and time again. However now that I know what pressures these rifles operate at I am somewhat concerned for my safety and of the others operating my rifles. Do you think I am overreacting to the issue? I am just looking for peace of mind because otherwise it's going to ruin the joy I get from operating rifles. Thanks.
    I think you're over reacting. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these rifles in use not only in the military but in civilian hands, and while catastrophic failures can occur they are few and far between. The videos of the failures that I have seen, the person escaped with only minor injuries as well. If you get one, keep it maintained, pay attention when you're shooting to ensure you didn't shoot a squib shot, and if it jams, investigate why it jammed thoroughly and ensure the barrel is clear before you fire another shot.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Centre County)

5.56 is "high powered"?
    LOL

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    5.56 is "high powered"?
    My thought exactly
    Je suis déplorable

5.56 is "high powered"?
    LOL
    If all the OP has shot up to this point is .22, 5.56 is high powered to him.

It's probably good that you do have safety concerns, but I wouldn't worry too much about the increase in pressure. Safety wise, think more about the increased effective range, etc of the larger 5.56.

Classes would be a good investment, too.
    Last edited by IronButt; January 6th, 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Lancaster County)

5.56 is "high powered"?
    LOL
    According to the liberal media it is.

I think the guy deserves a break here. He's only shot .22lr before, so to him it is high powered.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I think you're over reacting. There are literally hundreds of thousands of these rifles in use not only in the military but in civilian hands, and while catastrophic failures can occur they are few and far between. The videos of the failures that I have seen, the person escaped with only minor injuries as well.
    Few days ago I was standing next to the .357 mag, with double charged round exploded in the chamber. It appeared that the (re)load was 14 gr of Bullseye, while the max charge for .357 mag should to be just 6.8 gr as of the specs. And to add insult - the bullet was sitting too deep in the case, that didn't help with that extra pressure at all, as you can imagine.

So, bottom line is - cylinder cracked. But there wasn't any damage to the shooter whatsoever. Frankly, he didn't notice any difference. Ok, he wasn't really experienced one and that was his first .357 shot that day, so he couldnt' really tell the difference, but still...

And 5.56 ARs are well built rifles and I wouldn't seriously consider any body damage at all, unless otherwise "funny" ammo used, which can happen to any other gun.
    Je suis déplorable

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Few days ago I was standing next to the .357 mag, with double charged round exploded in the chamber.
    OP, Well at least with .223 (5.56) rounds you can't throw a double charge! (at least without noticing the powder spilling out all over the place)

Toujours prêt

(Butler County)

You're going to love it. The AR in .223/5.56 has a fantastically smooth feel. One thing you should be aware of is gas tube length in respect to barrel length. If you are getting a "carbine" with a 16" barrel you should be looking for a "middy" or mid-length gas tube vs. a carbine length gas tube. The action of the middy with a 16" barrel is smoother and more pleasant then the action of a carbine with a 16" barrel.

...or you could go with a full length rifle and full length gas tube... which also has a much smoother action than a carbine but where's the fun in that?

edit: oh, and get a spikes tactical!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Centre County)

When I first saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be about the amount of kick the gun has. No, I wouldn't worry one bit about the barrel pressures. Not only are there literally hundreds of thousands of these out there, there are much, much, much more high-powered rounds going through much less precision-made devices. Let's not forget the hundreds of incredibly intelligent people who design these weapons, whose job it is to assess such risks, and overbuild appropriately.

The old adage "don't be afraid of the gun, be afraid of the person holding it" covers a lot of ground. With a quality device, worry more about user error than the gun blowing up all by itself.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast