Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default anyone own a Kahr?

I see a lot of pistol talk about Glocks and 1911's, with a few others mentioned here and there. I own a Kahr CW9 and would like to hear from any other Kahr owners here on PAFOA their thoughts on Kahr guns. I bought mine just under a month ago, have put about 650 flawless rounds thru it both FMJ and JHP. It felt a little small at first but I enjoy it just fine now. Anyone have something to share?

(Bedford County)

Default Re: anyone own a Kahr?

I do.

I like 1911's and Glocks. I started with full size 1911's and full size Glocks, and worked my way down.

I'm 6' 160 lbs and have always had problems hiding a handgun. I'm 31, but my daughter is 8 and I have to be very active chasing her around as she grows up. That makes things harder, and much more so in the summer with shorts and a t-shirt. Bend over to pick up your kid...and everyone in the building sees a Glock!

I looked at Kahr's for a year before buying my P9. I wanted to stay away from the PM series that had so many issues. The P9 series has been much more reliable.

I chose the P9 over the CW9 because I run night sights on my guns. Price was higher.

My Kahr hides like no other small gun I have ever tried...and I tried many of them!

The P9 shoots great, and has never malfunctioned in 1,500 rounds or so. I havent put it through any torture tests, because it is my carry gun for the not-so-mean streets of Central Pa. I don't see it eating sand and mud in the near future.

Being one of the older guns, my P9 did have one slight issue...

After about 6 mths, the magazine release became weak. I called Kahr and they sent me a newer style release and spring for free within two days no questions asked. Their customer service is excellent.

You won't see many Kahr threads because #1 their American made guns are kinda high priced. #2 Most Kahr's are carried way more than they are shot.

I have tried to hide everything from G21's to G26's. Gvt Models to Defenders. Troopers to Det. Spls....the Kahr is my choice for "anytime carry".

90% of the bad mouthing Kahr gets is from their PM9 and PM40 guns. These tiny 3" poly handguns are not the world's most reliable guns, but it's tuff to make a gun that size and that light work. Few other companies have done it, most never tried.

The P series and CW series are true winners. I'm sure you will like yours!

(Bedford County)

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post

You won't see many Kahr threads because #1 their American made guns are kinda high priced. #2 Most Kahr's are carried way more than they are shot. .......
    The P series and CW series are true winners. I'm sure you will like yours!
    Thanks for the response Calvin, I was starting to wonder if I was the only guy with a Kahr. I always try to buy American and I did notice Kahr's are more expensive, however, as such I don't understand why they wouldn't be used more, I bought mine February 21 and have been to the range 5 times with it, each time putting 100 or more rounds thru it. The only reason I haven't shot it more is the price of ammo (which was a deciding factor in buying 9mm, cheaper ammo, more practice). I guess it's like the guys who spend $40,000 on a motorcycle just to put it on a trailer everywhere they go. I ride mine, and I shoot my Kahr. I have to admit when I was looking to buy I had only researched and looked at the PM9, wanted a good pocket gun, but when I got to the gun store and put one in my hand it was just too small. The CW9 felt small too but better, I'm used to it now, and it fits in my front jeans pocket quite nicely.

(Chester County)

I kind of feel the same way about buying American made. If it's a good product, and competitively priced, I'll buy it (which is why I own 15+ S&W revolvers, 3 Colts, 2 Glocks, and 1 HK (which is actually my favorite).

The problem is that so much of our manufacturing has gone downhill that I don't buy much American made when it comes to cars, computers, or electronics. I haven't owned an "American" car (even though my Nissan Titan was made in Mississippi w/50%+ American parts) since the motor on my Dodge ka-boomed at 60K miles back in 1990 something...

"Heavy" or "durable" goods seem to be better -- if it's a fixture on my home, it's absolutely American made.

As far as Kahr goes: I love the design, but I've had horrible experiences with the polymer Kahrs. My PM9 was a jam-o-matic. Traded it to a gun shop. My P40 was, honestly, the worst gun I've ever owned. It went back to the factory 3x, and still didn't work. Traded it to a gun shop. Seriously, these guns were so bad that I wouldn't have felt right selling them to an individual. I think the shops sent them back to the factory and demanded replacements.

There seem to be "good" polymer Kahrs and "bad" polymer Kahrs. I lucked in to two bad ones -- because I know tons of people who own PM9s that are flawless. I wish I had (or could have found) a good polymer Kahr.

I've never heard a bad word said about any all steel Kahr. Which is why, 2 days ago I ordered a Kahr K9. Like I said -- I really, really like the Kahr design, trigger, and ergonomics. And my carry guns see a couple hundred rounds a week, so it's probably just as well that I'm trying a steel one. I can't wait to get it
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Berks County)

I've had a Kahr PM 9 for several years. In earlier models there was a problem with the trigger resetting. I sent it back to Kahr and they fixed it no rpoblem... No other problems since. It makes for a very light and compact carry gun. Fairly accurate for its size. Very reliable feeding. No jams, malfunctions, etc.

For an everyday carry gun, I would definitely recommend it.

FlaSport

(Delaware County)

Thanks guys, I had read both great praise and bad experiences with the PM9, still I liked the compactness of it so I went to buy it, like I've already said though, it was just too small in my hand, I wanted compact, but also wanted to shoot the thing, so I went with the CW9, kind of wish I went for the (more expensive) P9 because of the use of night sites and in the CW9 rifling is conventional, rather than polygonal like the P9 (which I've heard increases accuracy), but all in all I have been very happy with it so far.

(Allegheny County)

P9 Covert here,

I carry it more than my normal carry Glock 23 or 32.

It rides in the following holsters A desantis Apache ankle holster more than most. I've had this ankle rig on for 16 hours with no problem. I also have a Lou Alessi ankle holster which is also comfortable but I can't cinch it above my work boot.

For pocket carry, I put it in a Kydex Kytac Pockit Lockit. All 3 holsters are good.

The p9 had an initial problem with a double reset. Sent it back they fixed it and had it back in about a week,sent me an extra $15 for my trouble and i was good to go.

Last weekend some of us Pafoa types went to a local club for a shoot. I shot my Glock 32 (with .40 bbl) at 100 yds and hit 6 out of 10 rounds onto an IPSC target.
    I pulled my Kahr P9 off my ankle and hit 2 out of 3 at 100yds with the 3 1/2 " bbl.

It shoots just fine and I am very glad to have it as my BUG and mostly carry gun.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Berks County)

Great thread guys. I've been looking for a summer carry piece, as my S&W M&P9 is too big, and I've been seriously considering either a PM9 or an MK9. Although it's a bit heavier, I'm leaning towards the MK9 because I've heard Kahr's steel-frame pistols are reliable as gravity. Haven't completely ruled either model out yet though; lot of it will depend on the price.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Delaware County)

I owned a kahr mk9 all steel and carried it for years.Super reliable but alittle heavy.I just sold it and I am now looking for a pm 9 or pm40 heard good and bad about both.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast