Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Tailed by the Police

Came unto a 'Seatbelt Checkpoint' this evening, about 2300, being conducted by Exeter Twp. Police. Took the U turn provided to avoid the checkpoint, and quickly had the telltale headlights of a Crown Vic in my rear view. Anally obeying speed limits and traffic laws, I took a haphazard, looping course through a local development, being closely followed nonstop. I made a right hand turn onto a side street, pulled to the curb and parked, dousing my lights. The cop car nearly ran into the back of me, hesitated, then passed by. Once it had reached the next block, I started back up, but he was waiting for me at the next intersection, so I repeated my pull over.

This time, he pulled up alongside me, and quickly shined his car spot into my eyes. I kept my face forward and hands on the wheel. From his car, he ordered me to lower my window, and I complied.

Me: "Can I help you sir?"
    Him: "You broke down or something?"
    Me: "No, just wanted to pull over. Why are you following me?"
    Him: "I saw you avoided our checkpoint, and I wanted to know why."
    Me: "It's in my right to do so."
    Him: "...Yes it is. Do you live around here?" (I knew he ran my plates by now)
    Me: "Yes."
    Him: "Where?"
    Me: "Around here, thats all."
    Him: "Well, just wanted to know why you avoided the checkpoint."
    Me, rolling window up: "You have a safe night officer."

He drove off, and I headed home. Picked him up behind me again, and was followed for another 1/2 mile or so. I pulled into my home and parked, and he slowly drove by.

I came inside, spoke with my folks, and went onto my back porch to smoke. I saw a cruiser driving slowly down the side street to my house, visible from my porch.

Now my dogs are barking out the front window.

This might be a fun night, will keep you all updated.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Tailed by the Police

I would take him a cup of coffee and have a litte chat with him. If you were doing nothing illegal then he should not be following you.

(Allegheny County)

Awesome.
    I hate those illegal, 4th amendment ignorant checkpoints.

Funny how he followed you even though you were within your rights to do the u-turn. Gestapo shit, for sure.

I hope nothing else comes of it, but, you should go sit on you front stoop and clean your EBR with your piece on your side for all to see.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Northampton County)

The seatbelt laws are stupid as hell. It's my choice if I want to wear a damn seatbelt. The only reason they want you wearing a seatbelt is if you survive, any other driver in the accident can sue your ass.

You can't sue a dead man.

(Northumberland County)

i think its illegal to make a u turn near a checkpoint... most drunk drivers or someone thats doing something illegal are more likely to make a u turn to try to avoid the checkpoint but there is always a cruiser hiding before you come close to the checkpoints on both sides....if you aint doing anything wrong no need worry and consent and comply, it doesnt pay to be smart ass with a police officer ,it will only bring you rmore problems in the future,i would consent and comply to anything an officer would say cuz i aint doing anything illegal if they DO violate my rights in any way i do have my lawyer's phone number handy....
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; May 30th, 2009 at 12:15 AM.

(Berks County)

Went out for smoke, out front this time. There was a cruiser parked at the end of my driveway. A cop was standing behind my car, shining his flashlight in the rear window. When I approached, he got into the passenger side of the car and drove off.

He dint cross onto the property line, but Im starting to wonder if this is turning into harassment. Got my camcorder with infra red lamp ready...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    ...i would consent and comply to anything an officer would say cuz i aint doing anything illegal...
    Wow dude. Just wow.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Wow dude. Just wow.
    yeah its not a good idea to make your local police your enemy, no need to act all high and almighty cuz a cop it only doing his job or just simply passing time.

(Luzerne County)

i think its illegal to make a u turn near a checkpoint... most drunk drivers or someone thats doing something illegal are more likely to make a u turn to try to avoid the checkpoint but there is always a cruiser hiding before you come close to the checkpoints on both sides....
    You think wrong about it being illegal to do a U-turn, or any other legal maneuver, to avoid a checkpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWohlschlag View Post
    As per Commonwealth v. Scavello:
    Finally, the Commonwealth argues that avoidance of the roadblock is itself sufficient justification for the traffic stop. Again, we disagree. Although there is statutory authority in the Motor Vehicle Code at 75 Pa.C.S. § 6308 (b) for police to conduct roadblocks, and although this court to date has declined to rule this practice unconstitutional, see Commonwealth v. Tarbert, 535 A.2d 1035 (Pa 1987) (plurality opinion), Commonwealth v. Blouse, 611 A.2d 1177 (Pa. 1992) (implementing the guidelines set out in Tarbert), there is no requirement that a driver go through a roadblock.[1] Failing to go through the roadblock in and of itself, therefore, provides no basis for police intervention. However, as Superior Court points out, if police should observe a violation of the Motor Vehicle Code or have a reasonable suspicion that the vehicle which is avoiding the roadblock is involved in criminal conduct, such observation or suspicion, which can be articulated with particularity, would be the basis for a vehicle stop.
    As long as your maneuvers to avoid the checkpoint are not in violation of the Vehicle Code, and the police do not see marijuana plants sticking out your passenger window (or direct observation of other illegal activity), your avoidance of the checkpoint is not a sole justification to stop you.

(Berks County)

yeah its not a good idea to make your local police your enemy, no need to act all high and almighty cuz a cop it only doing his job or just simply passing time.
    I broke no laws, and a cops job is to enforce and uphold laws. No laws broken = no need for a cop. If he wants to just pass the time, he can go rub one out behind the Giant for all I care. Harassing civilians is neither part of their job, nor an acceptable way to pass the time.

If the local police choose to see me as an enemy, that's their issue. Whether they love me or hate me, I have rights, and they have a job.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast