Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default 2 teens hurt by explosion while drilling into bullet

http://www.sheboygan-press.com/apps/...802200527/1973

2 teens hurt by explosion while drilling into bullet
    By Eric Litke
    Sheboygan Press staff

Two Sheboygan County boys attempting to drill into a high-powered rifle bullet sparked an explosion Monday afternoon but escaped with only minor injuries, according to the Sheboygan County Sheriff's Department.

"These kids were very, very fortunate," said Capt. Dave Adams.

Benjamin G. Fisher, 18, and a 17-year-old friend who was not identified were attempting to remove the gunpowder, Adams said. The incident occurred about 3:30 p.m. on Fisher's property in the Town of Lyndon.

The pair — both Sheboygan Falls High School students — initially attempted to pry the slug from the 7.62x54 round with a pliers, but opted for power tools when they were unsuccessful.

They cut off the tip off the bullet and drilled into what remained, hoping to force the rest of the slug out, Adams said. The gunpowder exploded as the drill bit came into contact with it.

"It's just, I guess, bad judgment on my behalf, just kids being kids," Fisher said in a phone interview Tuesday. "I'd kind of like to drop it right here, but I know that's not going to happen."

The 17-year-old, a Sheboygan Falls resident who was operating the drill, suffered powder burns on his face and hands and a scratch to the surface of his eye, but will have no permanent injuries, Adams said. Fisher, who was holding the base of the bullet with a pliers, suffered superficial powder burns on his face.

"There's a lot of people that will probably kind of laugh about it, (but) there's a real danger with kids not thinking things out," Adams said. "Luckily, the boys will have something they will remember the rest of their lives, but not because of permanent injury."

Adams said both teens were treated at Aurora Health Care Center Clinic in Plymouth and released. No charges will be filed in the incident.

A deputy noted in his report that the boys had no specific plans for the gunpowder, "but did admit to horseplay and suggested they would have found a use for it."

________
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

Default Re: 2 teens hurt by explosion while drilling into bullet

Okay... I've done some dumb things in my day, but I think I would have been smart enough to realize that drilling into a live round may not be the best idea.

Side note: This should probably be in the news forum?

(Westmoreland County)

They were probably after the brass to make a key chain out of...

Kids will be kids, some are just a little dumber than others! LOL

(Bucks County)

Although what the kids did was stupid, I wish that the media would do a little fact checking first. Smokeless powder doesn't explode, it just burns quickly. Unless they managed to set the primer off, there was no explosion. Secondly, except for the fire/heat from the powder burning, there really isn't any danger. There was no chamber/barrel for force all of the energy in one direction. It should have been similar to throwing a round into the fire.

I'd give a darwin award to those two youths.

(Snyder County)

If they were truly after the powder, the 18 year old should be able to buy it. I know I bought tons of black powder at 18 for the cannon I have. Some checked ID, some didn't.

(Lebanon County)

A little bit of education about firearms and ammunition earl in life goes a long way. Those two did something stupid because they didn't know or understand the consequences. If the anti gun people would stop insisting that kids shouldn't be allowed to know anything about guns and ammo and go the other way and actually promote education and safety there would be less of that type of thing happening.
    They are some of the same people who say that you aren't going to stop teens from having premarital sex, so why not educate them and encourage them to use precautions to have "safe sex".
    Why not apply the same principal to guns and ammo?
    If you think that guns are more dangerous than sex, think about how many people are dying from AIDS as compared to how many die from gun related accidents.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    They were probably after the brass to make a key chain out of...
    Nope, bet you they were after the bullet. My little brother did that a few years ago. I was getting ready to head out for work and I hear a BANG in the basement workshop. Scared the crap out of me, was very close to gunshot sound but not quite. Run down, my little bother is scared shitless. Check, he's ok, then check for property damage. He placed a few compressed particle boards on the ground and was making sure no parts of him were below or on top of the round. He also wore eye protection (but no hearing protection). He then attempted to drill through the primer. He said he had already made 2 holes in it and was finishing the 3rd one when he jerked the drill a bit and it detonated.

I was speechless.

He knew enough that round outside the chaimber can't cause much damage but it didn't occur to him how much powder is in a 7.62x39 round. It didn't occur to him to just ask me to load a dummy round for him. He thought he'd drill out the primer, get the powder out through the hole and make a keychain or necklace out of it.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by netw0rkpenguin View Post
    Nope, bet you they were after the bullet.

I think the article stated the cut they bullet in half.... and drilled the remaining half.....

I think they were smoking crack............ just my thought...

(Washington County)

Article says they cut the tip of the bullet and then started drilling through it, hoping to get to the powder so they could "find a use for it".

Almost as the NY guy who was hitting .223's with a nail and hammer so he could take the scrap brass in for cash. He ended up catching one of them in the stomach and drove himself to the hospitol.

These kids were lucky and well at least they know not to do that now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast