Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Army patents limited range self-destructing bullet

Army engineers patent limited range bullet that self-destructs

Researchers working for the U.S. Army have been award a patent for a revolutionary limited range bullet that self-destructs.

Three employees of the U.S. Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center (ARDEC) were awarded the patent for the proof-of-concept projectile, which aims to reduce collateral damage.

Designed for use in close combat areas such as urban fighting, the projectile could reduce the risk of stray bullets hitting civilians or friendly forces. Researchers say that the bullet could also be useful on firing and training ranges and could potentially be used by civilian police. Full story...
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Berks County)

Default Re: Army patents limited range self-destructing bullet

1 - how can you "dial-it-in" if there is no dial?

2 - I just started my spreadsheet for ammo in stock and I ain't not don't got none of that...

(Chester County)

Soldiers are soft. Marine bullets travel through their target, out the other side and spank hadji's butt buddy next to him... a 'twofer'.

(Bucks County)

I read an article on that earlier today. Apparently, after traveling a certain distance, there is an incendiary particle that ignites and melts the copper jacket and therefore the projectile becomes unstable and falls out of flight. WOW!! Brilliant idea ,and I'm pretty sure it would be illegal in war. Imagine the blowback the minute it gets out that one poor jihadi got hit with a wad of molten copper. God forbid the little heathen is under 12 years old.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

The good news is that government inventions are in the public domain so you'll be able to buy these in WalMart in a few years.

While I am no expert in ballistics, I cant imagine that these type of bullets would be very accurate. As the material burns off it would change the weight of the bullet in mid flight. There fore it would change the impact point. Targets of opportunity at greater distances would most likely never be hit. I suppose up close it would matter. Hitting your intended target and then an innocent behind could happen, even if the bullet wasn't designed to self destruct, due to velocity. I think this is a bad idea!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Wayne County)

The armed forces love to make eveyones life difficult. Logistics of getting all sorts of DIFFERENT ammo to the battle front will become a nightmare and their down fall. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    While I am no expert in ballistics, I cant imagine that these type of bullets would be very accurate. As the material burns off it would change the weight of the bullet in mid flight. There fore it would change the impact point. Targets of opportunity at greater distances would most likely never be hit. I suppose up close it would matter. Hitting your intended target and then an innocent behind could happen, even if the bullet wasn't designed to self destruct, due to velocity. I think this is a bad idea!
    Tracers work.

Army already has 20mm ammo like this for their ground based Vulcans.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    The armed forces love to make eveyones life difficult. Logistics of getting all sorts of DIFFERENT ammo to the battle front will become a nightmare and their down fall. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID.
    It's costing us about $10 million for each dead camel jockey and it's costing them a fistfull of khat, 25 cents, and 1 goatfuck for each dead US serviceman.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    It's costing us about $10 million for each dead camel jockey and it's costing them a fistfull of khat, 25 cents, and 1 goatfuck for each dead US serviceman.
    Exactly! I love technology, but give it a break, bullets are not land mines. I can see Och-med catching one of these just as its burning up, cooking his inside, and the fammily sues. Geneva Convention means nothing. I'D rep ya Ungawa but you sir have hit the rep roof.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast