Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default YHM Flip Up Sight Questions

I just built up an flat top AR-15 w/ YHM flip up sights. It is a full length rifle and the rear sight is mounted at the rear of the upper, and the front over the standard gas port. So the location of the sights is much like a standard full length rifle. The sights are about 2.6 inches above the bore centerline. A couple of questions - each click on the sight is how much in MOA? I assume the front an rear will have different values. Also, will turning the front post clockwise will move point of impact up and turning the rear sight clockwise move the point of impact to the right? There are two apertures on the rear sight. One has a bigger hole and is marked 0-2. Is the point of impact the same, or is the bigger aperture or shorter distances? What distance should I sight in the rifle?

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: YHM Flip Up Sight Questions

Yes they will have different values front and rear. As for the front post. In simple terms making the post taller will move the shot group down and making it shorter will move it up. For the rear moving the sight left will move the group left and right will go right. As for the rear the 0-2 is usually for low light and/or close 0-200m while the small hole is the normal sight and is good out to as far as your willing to try shooting. I'm not sure without looking at YHM's site to see what your running but there is usually some kind of rear elevation setting also. On a regular setup thats what gets moved when you shoot past 300 if you were zeroed at 300m. As for a zero distance depending on how much you like to walk.....you could try using the M16A4 style zero targets with the grid on them. It gives you a reduced size 300m target that you only have to stick 25m away.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper