Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Light .223 load for bolt action

Recently started to load .223 Rem for bolt action Savage. Using 55gr FMJBT Hornady and H-322. Hodgdon recommends starting at 21.0 grs with max of 23.0 gr. I am seating bullet .020 off lands.

I noted in several articles and Lyman 49th reloading manual that they do not recommend loads below the suggested starting powder weight due to possible excessive pressure.

My first try at finding the ‘honey load’ was a set of loadings from 20.0 through 21.5 gr - there were no signs of untoward pressure. The 20.0 gr gave the best result. I am tempted to try going down another grain or two but am concerned about the issue of high pressure for ‘light’ loads even though it sounds counterintuitive.

Anyone out there have any experience with loading ‘light’ for the .223?

What’s your reloading manual give for starting/max using 55gr FMJBT Hornady and H-322?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Light .223 load for bolt action

I never knew that a light load could cause "excessive" pressure issues. It could however cause too little pressure, causing the round to be stuck in the barrel.

For max loads I know you look at the casing for things such as split necks or any primer issues. Someone might be able to help us concerning find the proper "honey load" for light loads. You may need a chrono to test the min. velocity, so that the bullet would properly exit the barrel, that would be my guess.

(Lawrence County)

Light loads can pressure up as the powder does not fill the case well. When the primer ignites it can light a larger surface area of the power versus just the bottom of the stack....so you don't have a regular controlled burn. Kind of like a flashover that can spike pressure.

Th Hodgdon site lists 19.0 grs as starting load for H332 and 55gr bullets.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I highly recommend you try Varget for accuracy loads. I think it's the absolute best in .223.

Lycangoodluckbecarefulthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Th Hodgdon site lists 19.0 grs as starting load for H332 and 55gr bullets.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I highly recommend you try Varget for accuracy loads. I think it's the absolute best in .223.

Lycangoodluckbecarefulthrope

Checked link - says 21.0 for H-322 55 gr bullet. 19.0 gr for 70 gr bullet

This also brings to mind another question. If I have a bullet weight not listed in the charts they say use the suggested data for the next bullet weight higher. From a pressure perspective, since the 19.0 gr is listed as OK for 70 gr bullets does it follow that its also OK for the lighter 55gr bullet?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Checked link - says 21.0 for H-322 55 gr bullet. 19.0 gr for 70 gr bullet

This also brings to mind another question. If I have a bullet weight not listed in the charts they say use the suggested data for the next bullet weight higher. From a pressure perspective, since the 19.0 gr is listed as OK for 70 gr bullets does it follow that its also OK for the lighter 55gr bullet?
    You're right. I misread.....and NO it's NOT ok since the 70 gr bullet is longer and takes up more case volume.

Thanks for the correction!

Lycandoh!thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Columbia County)

with hornady 55fmj's in my ruger #3 I use a charge of clays powder at 3.4 grains its around the sound barrier so if one has a crak and the next dont its slight variations in the loads that light enough fer ya?
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...