Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Does anyone have a Maine Permit to Carry Concealed Firearms?

I am planning on going to Maine this year for some snowmobiling and will do so probably frequent enough that I am considering applying for Maine permit. It's a "shall issue" state and costs $60 for 4 years. I believe Maine doesn't honor any other state's permit so there is no way around it (kinda dumb considering that it's a border state).

Has anyone gotten a Maine permit? How easy was it and how long did it take? I downloaded the non-resident form and it's rather long. Thanks.

Al

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Does anyone have a Maine Permit to Carry Concealed Firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Has anyone gotten a Maine permit? How easy was it and how long did it take? I downloaded the non-resident form and it's rather long. Thanks.

Al

Yes - I have Maine.............along with my PA and UTAH permits/LTCF/etc.....

We drove to Acadia/Bar Harbor for vacation in August - and I was not about to go defenseless (too bad had to go thru the gates of hell to get there -NJ/NJ/Conn/Mass). We just won't mention that whole nat'l park thing

Maine even expedited the permit for me!! Had it within 4 weeks - normal is 9-12.

Just fill in all the paper-work, provide copies of your other permits. Just don't delay--may take quite a few weeks otherwise.

They have a "properly trained" requirement - so I penned a quick note and stated that my UTAH permit- by default - showed proof of proper training.

Not sure if just a PA Hunter Safety would qualify....so be aware.

(Philadelphia County)

That's great news sjohn! Wife and I both have Utah permits. I was just going to contact the instructor for the extra certificates as proof, but if they accept the note as you said, that's great. Thanks for posting.

Al

I've been waiting almost 2 months for mine. You'll need an NRA class if I'm not mistaken, along with a permit from another state. And yes, they do ask you in 100 different ways if you're a psycho or criminal.
    That's one thing I hate about these New England states, although you can get carry permits in all(VT not needed of course), all except NH have no reciprocity, so you'll need multiple permits.
    I guess that's better than NJ though............

(Philadelphia County)

[QUOTE=press1280;464718]I've been waiting almost 2 months for mine. You'll need an NRA class if I'm not mistaken, along with a permit from another state. And yes, they do ask you in 100 different ways if you're a psycho or criminal.
    That's one thing I hate about these New England states, although you can get carry permits in all(VT not needed of course), all except NH have no reciprocity, so you'll need multiple permits.
    I guess that's better than NJ though............[/QUOTE]

It could be worse like you said with other states like NJ, NY, and MD that are immediately surrounding PA...and I work in NJ :do'h: Why can't we have a national reprocity law?

Al

[QUOTE=mythaeus;464723]
    Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I've been waiting almost 2 months for mine. You'll need an NRA class if I'm not mistaken, along with a permit from another state. And yes, they do ask you in 100 different ways if you're a psycho or criminal.
    I guess that's better than NJ though............[/QUOTE]

It could be worse like you said with other states like NJ, NY, and MD that are immediately surrounding PA...and I work in NJ :do'h: Why can't we have a national reprocity law?

Al
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but I think we're getting to a national carry minus the NJs,NYs,Calis. Incorporation of the 2A could be the key.