Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ammo Storage

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Ammo Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    I struggle to keep mine below 60% Any higher and rust starts forming on other stuff. I manage to keep it under 60 in the summer but I can't get it much lower. 45 would be ideal.

In the winter it gets down to like 20% down there.

The real question was if the old military ammo cans with salt packs inside were enough protection. I have also heard you can put a charcoal briquettes in each can (noy that one would fit) as those are REALLY absorbent.

My neighbor in the same style house with the same basement keeps his in the basement but he runs through ammo like I run through water. When I say "long term storage" to him he looks at me like I have 2 heads.
    or two feet?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Keep in mind. Desiccants don't suck up water eternally. They have their ceiling and then they need to be cooked dry or replaced.
    Maybe my assumption is incorrect, but if ammo were stored in a can in a very low humidity environment, I suspect a few packs in the can would be sufficient to absorb what small amount of moisture might be present. An airtight can would not let in any further moisture, right?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Maybe my assumption is incorrect, but if ammo were stored in a can in a very low humidity environment, I suspect a few packs in the can would be sufficient to absorb what small amount of moisture might be present. An airtight can would not let in any further moisture, right?
    I would agree with that line of thinking and the only thing I wonder about is, how well do they seal?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I found primers on my basement floor that have been there for well over 5 years, they still worked.
    I dumped a bunch of 50cal primers in soapy water for about a week. When they dried out, I smacked one
    with a hammer. It went BOOM.
    FJB

(Chester County)

26 years ago when I chose my lot in the new subdivision, I had my choice and picked one that appeared to have good drainage, a good distance away from the wetlands to the south.

My basement is like a desert, so all my boolits are stored there.

(Allegheny County)

Ive got some 25acp left I bought in the mid 80s stored in a plastic "DRY" box and they still go bang.. Forgot about a 20round mag of 5.56 & 2 boxes of 410 sitting in a cardboard box with some junk in my basement for over 20 years shot them this year all were fine. the 410 shells were looking a little green as the boxes got real wet.. but fired.
    With a little care I don't see you having much,if any issue with AMMO..I'll probably Just store my ammo in cans in the basement and keep the firearms upstairs for peace of mind .

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I found primers on my basement floor that have been there for well over 5 years, they still worked.
    I dumped a bunch of 50cal primers in soapy water for about a week. When they dried out, I smacked one
    with a hammer. It went BOOM.
    I was reading somewhere that when they are making smokeless powder and high explosives they are manufactured in a "wet" condition for safety, and only when they are finally done they are dried out for use.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I was reading somewhere that when they are making smokeless powder and high explosives they are manufactured in a "wet" condition for safety, and only when they are finally done they are dried out for use.
    Fireworks also except anything with aluminum powder and the sort. I remember making stars for my firework shells.
    Wet is safer. I also made BP that way.
    FJB

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345