Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do.

(McKean County)

Default What to do.

I got my permit for my pistol when I lived in elk county pa. but now live in McKean county . Would like to know what I have to do now that I live in different conty

Default Re: What to do.

You dont have to do anything til time to renew your LTCF...So enjoy and be worry free..

Semper Fi,

(Berks County)

Though you should notify your former county of your address change. In the event that your LTCF is revoked, they will send the notice to the address they have. It's not their problem if you don't receive it, you're still responsible.

Also I believe the sheriff is supposed to send a letter six months before your expiration reminding you of the need to renew.

(McKean County)

Thumbs up Re: What to do.

I just got my CCW permit this spring, after a long, long, spell without having one.

I live in Port Allegany, but I had to go to Smethport, out to the County Jail, (the Sheriff's Office to be exact) and get my permit in McKean County. My old one was for Washington County, but they weren't the least interested in it.

"Your permit, Sir, is not for McKean County." was exactly what I was told. I filled out the new application, they did a background check by means of my Driver's License, and I was immediately issued my McKean County CCW Permit.

Just bear in mind that you're going to be expected to pay the $25.00 fee, all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by ferdman View Post
    I got my permit for my pistol when I lived in elk county pa. but now live in McKean county . Would like to know what I have to do now that I live in different conty

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    I just got my CCW permit this spring, after a long, long, spell without having one.

I live in Port Allegany, but I had to go to Smethport, out to the County Jail, (the Sheriff's Office to be exact) and get my permit in McKean County. My old one was for Washington County, but they weren't the least interested in it.

"Your permit, Sir, is not for McKean County." was exactly what I was told. I filled out the new application, they did a background check by means of my Driver's License, and I was immediately issued my McKean County CCW Permit.

Just bear in mind that you're going to be expected to pay the $25.00 fee, all over again.

Ok I'm confused. You say you just got a permit after a long spell without one.
    Was that a Washington Co. permit?

If so and you recently relocated to Port and the sheriff dept. instructed you that your recently newly issued permit was invalid and needed to be reissued from McKean?

Is that correct?

If so:
    Who told you this the sheriff or a deputy?

Because this is completely untrue. Any issued permit is legal until it either expires or is revoked.

Eagerly awaiting a reply

(e) Issuance of license.
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (i) An individual whose character and reputation is such that the individual would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.
    (ii) An individual who has been convicted of an offense under the act of April 14, 1972 (P.L. 233, No. 64), known as The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (iii) An individual convicted of a crime enumerated in section 6105.
    (iv) An individual who, within the past ten years, has been adjudicated delinquent for a crime enumerated in section 6105 or for an offense under The Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act.
    (v) An individual who is not of sound mind or who has ever been committed to a mental institution.
    (vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.
    (vii) An individual who is a habitual drunkard.
    (viii) An individual who is charged with or has been convicted of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year except as provided for in section 6123 (relating to waiver of disability or pardons).
    (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. §921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).
    (x) An alien who is illegally in the United States.
    (xi) An individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.
    (xii) An individual who is a fugitive from justice. This subparagraph does not apply to an individual whose fugitive status is based upon* nonmoving or moving summary offense under Title 75 (relating to vehicles).
    *So in original. Probably "a" should be inserted.
    (xiii) An individual who is otherwise prohibited from possessing, using, manufacturing, controlling, purchasing, selling or transferring a firearm as provided by section 6105.
    (2) (Deleted)
    (3) The license shall bear the name, address, date of birth, race, sex, citizenship, Social Security number, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes and signature of the licensee; the signature of the sheriff issuing the license; the reason for issuance; and the period of validation. The sheriff may also require a photograph of the licensee on the license. The original license shall be issued to the applicant. The first copy of the license shall be forwarded to the commissioner within seven days of the date of issue, and a second copy shall be retained by the issuing authority for a period of six years.

(f) Term of license.
    (1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless sooner revoked.
    (2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.
    Last edited by God's Country; July 31st, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

And of course a LTCF issued in any PA county is valid in any other PA county

Oh and another post mentioned about a six month notice from the sheriff to renew, actually it is 60 days as per statute:

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    And of course a LTCF issued in any PA county is valid in any other PA county
    Get over yourself
    FUCK BIDEN

(McKean County)

Yes, a long dry spell, meaning that my last permit was issued in Dec 1998, in Washington County. It had long since expired from Washington County in Dec 2003.

Meanwhile, I took a job and moved to Zanesville Ohio, became a resident out there, thereby nullifying my Washington County Permit. In 2005 I moved again up here to McKean County, and decided in 2009 that I wanted to get my permit, again. But I'd realized that my old one was long since expired, and null and void.

I mentioned the old permit, in passing, to the Officer that actually did my paperwork, in fact I held it in my hand offering to allow the official to examine it, but he declined. I'd also told him that it was expired. Bear in mind that my expired permit was the old paper kind, not the credit card sized one issued now-a-days.

I can't recall the Officers name, but I've got enough Military Experience to recall that this Gentleman was the Number 2 guy in the office.

Like I said, I told him that I had an expired permit, and when he saw the paper permit, he very likely knew from his personal experience that I needed a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Ok I'm confused. You say you just got a permit after a long spell without one.
    Was that a Washington Co. permit?

If so and you recently relocated to Port and the sheriff dept. instructed you that your recently newly issued permit was invalid and needed to be reissued from McKean?

Is that correct?

If so:
    Who told you this the sheriff or a deputy?

Because this is completely untrue. Any issued permit is legal until it either expires or is revoked.

Eagerly awaiting a reply

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Fleming View Post
    Yes, a long dry spell, meaning that my last permit was issued in Dec 1998, in Washington County. It had long since expired from Washington County in Dec 2003.

Meanwhile, I took a job and moved to Zanesville Ohio, became a resident out there, thereby nullifying my Washington County Permit. In 2005 I moved again up here to McKean County, and decided in 2009 that I wanted to get my permit, again. But I'd realized that my old one was long since expired, and null and void.

I mentioned the old permit, in passing, to the Officer that actually did my paperwork, in fact I held it in my hand offering to allow the official to examine it, but he declined. I'd also told him that it was expired. Bear in mind that my expired permit was the old paper kind, not the credit card sized one issued now-a-days.

I can't recall the Officers name, but I've got enough Military Experience to recall that this Gentleman was the Number 2 guy in the office.

Like I said, I told him that I had an expired permit, and when he saw the paper permit, he very likely knew from his personal experience that I needed a new one.
    Ok it all sounds legit. Your original post to me sounded like you may have gotten screwed out of $25. Brad Mason is a great sheriff and I was perplexed by the possibility that his staff was misinformed. Anyway welcome to Port.
    FUCK BIDEN

(McKean County)

Nope, no problem at all...

Thanks for the Welcome, Sir... Do you live in Port?

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Anyway welcome to Port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast