Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question Using a Passport to buy a gun

My friend got denied from purchasing a handgun today cause he produced his passport as an I.D.

Can one use a passport as a valid form of I.D when buying a gun in PA?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Using a Passport to buy a gun

Quote Originally Posted by coppery View Post
    My friend got denied from purchasing a handgun today cause he produced his passport as an I.D.

Can one use a passport as a valid form of I.D when buying a gun in PA?
    As a matter of federal law, to buy a gun from an FFL you need to establish both identity and residency in the state. I think that's why a DL or state ID is needed.

To ensure compliance with this residency requirement, section 922(t) of the GCA requires licensees to examine a valid “identification document” (as defined in 18 U.S.C. 1028(d) and 27 CFR 478.11) of a firearm transferee. This document must contain the residence address of the transferee so that the licensee may verify the identity of the transferee and discern whether the transferee has the intention of making a home in a particular State. Licensees transferring a firearm to a person not licensed under the GCA are required, pursuant to 27 CFR 478.124, to record the firearm transaction on an ATF Form 4473, which requires, among other things, the transferee’s residence address, including the transferee’s State of residence as it appears on the valid identification document.

The term “identification document” is defined by 18 U.S.C. 1028(d)(3) as “a document made or issued by or under the authority of the United States Government, a State, political subdivision of a State . . . which, when completed with information concerning a particular individual, is of a type intended or commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.” The regulations, 27 CFR 478.11, define the term “identification document” as “[a] document containing the name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder and which was made or issued by or under the authority of the United States Government, a State, political subdivision of a State . . . which, when completed with information concerning a particular individual, is of a type intended or commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.” Identification documents include, but are not limited to, a driver’s license, voter registration, tax records, or vehicle registration. As explained in ATF Ruling 2001-5 (ATFQB 2001-4, 37), a combination of valid government documents may be used to satisfy the GCA’s State residency requirement.
    http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulin...ing-2010-6.pdf
    Last edited by Philbert; August 13th, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

(Beaver County)

Nope. What he said ^^

(Montgomery County)

thanks philbert

Yea, but to get my passport (Michigan Driver lic in Charlotte) they wanted more ID, so I gave her my CPL (LTCF), she said "I don't know if they'll accept this, do you have an employee ID card or something".

I asked her what she wanted to see on the employer ID card, I'd go print one up. She said I can't do that and I said "but you'd accept that over a government issued picture ID that required fingerprints, a FBI background check" yada yada yada....

(Yea got my passport using it with no issues)

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Monroe County)

THe Laws must have been changed since 1994 then , because in 1994 i used my Passport to buy a Gun in New York state, the Gunshop manager said it perfectly legal because the ATF rules stated that that i needed a state or Federal issued picture ID.

While i were there there were a couple of Black guys from the Caribbean buying a couple of Mossberg bird Guns to ship back to the Caribbean for Dove Hunting, they too used their Passports and some other documents that i did not a good look at .

Check with the ATF for the correct Rules, some Gun Dealers are just over reactive and sometimes give out false info.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    THe Laws must have been changed since 1994 then , because in 1994 i used my Passport to buy a Gun in New York state, the Gunshop manager said it perfectly legal because the ATF rules stated that that i needed a state or Federal issued picture ID.

While i were there there were a couple of Black guys from the Caribbean buying a couple of Mossberg bird Guns to ship back to the Caribbean for Dove Hunting, they too used their Passports and some other documents that i did not a good look at .

Check with the ATF for the correct Rules, some Gun Dealers are just over reactive and sometimes give out false info.
    I haven't looked at the laws but I think the state ID usually only applies to pistols (varies by state). I know of at least several states that only require some form of ID to be able to purchase a rifle or a shotgun but handguns *DO* require state ID as well.

(Delaware County)

Your passport is a federally issued photo ID that also carries your street address which is supposed to be kept up to date, just like your DL. I'm pretty sure that they're valid for firearm purposes. Not every firearm owner drives either, nor is it required that a firearm owner drive.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Your passport is a federally issued photo ID that also carries your street address which is supposed to be kept up to date, just like your DL. I'm pretty sure that they're valid for firearm purposes. Not every firearm owner drives either, nor is it required that a firearm owner drive.
    PennDot does issue PA state IDs without driving privileges for those who want one.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; August 14th, 2012 at 08:05 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    The biggest problem is most dealers do not know what is valid besides a state ID or DL.
    A passport is not valid as a primary ID for firearm purchases since it does not have the address printed on it. It can be used with other documents that have your current address. Utility bills, lease, bank statement and a few other things.

A LTCF is not a valid state ID for identification purposes, however PICS does accept this as a primary ID and is all you need.

I know about this situation very well. I don't drive, so no DL. I don't have a state ID because a passport and LTCF are my primary ID. I have been turned away from a few sales because the dealers don't even want to run anything but a DL or state ID.
    Last edited by kadar; August 14th, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast