Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Wyoming County)

Default Stroudsburg/ E-burg crime inquiry

Fellow members-

My kid and I checked out downtown Stroudsburg today. We are from a town further north and are interested in shows at the Sherman Theatre. We had lunch at Brownies and walked around town and drove around a bit and found that it is an easy place to get around and to park and go to a show or a bar that has a band. So far so good.

What we couldn't see at 2 o'clock in the afternoon was the potential for criminal activity and personal safety after-hours in Stroudsburg, especially in an after concert scenario at one of the nearby bars like Siamsa until the wee hours of 1:00 or 2:00.

I respectfully ask for an honest appraisel of the safety situation of Stroudsburg ( and East stroudsburg ) .

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Stroudsburg/ E-burg crime inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by Kahr54 View Post
    Fellow members-

My kid and I checked out downtown Stroudsburg today. We are from a town further north and are interested in shows at the Sherman Theatre. We had lunch at Brownies and walked around town and drove around a bit and found that it is an easy place to get around and to park and go to a show or a bar that has a band. So far so good.

What we couldn't see at 2 o'clock in the afternoon was the potential for criminal activity and personal safety after-hours in Stroudsburg, especially in an after concert scenario at one of the nearby bars like Siamsa until the wee hours of 1:00 or 2:00.

I respectfully ask for an honest appraisel of the safety situation of Stroudsburg ( and East stroudsburg ) .
    youre better off staying within the busier parts of main street, especially on weekends. police presence is at a high. once you start to venture to lower or upper main (towards walmart and mcdonalds or up towards wawa) is when you start to get into the seedier parts of town...basically stay below floods and above sherman and you'll be fine for the most part.

Main street is fairly well patrolled by police but there are areas you have to be damn careful of (meaning any street off of main street), especially after dark. The area around the Shoprite (2nd street) is a god damned nightmare day or evening, I wont go there unarmed for ANY reason!

Then you have the Wally world area of E'Burg ... good luck day or evening. I refuse to allow the wife to go there without me and even think twice before going there myself. Sorry but a lot of the area has become a shit hole, taken over by the dregs of NY and NJ

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Main street is fairly well patrolled by police but there are areas you have to be damn careful of (meaning any street off of main street), especially after dark. The area around the Shoprite (2nd street) is a god damned nightmare day or evening, I wont go there unarmed for ANY reason!

Then you have the Wally world area of E'Burg ... good luck day or evening. I refuse to allow the wife to go there without me and even think twice before going there myself. Sorry but a lot of the area has become a shit hole, taken over by the dregs of NY and NJ
    the irony of it all is that the walmart in mt. pocono is actually better than the one in east stroudsburg...who woulda thought.......

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    the irony of it all is that the walmart in mt. pocono is actually better than the one in east stroudsburg...who woulda thought.......
    Well they 'invade' us from the closest point to NJ / NY so it would make sense

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Well they 'invade' us from the closest point to NJ / NY so it would make sense
    yeah but my reasoning is that mt pocono has p.c.p...that practically IS the damn city!

(Monroe County)

I would agree with the advice above and stay between McDonalds (4th St) and Stoudsburg High School/WaWa (Elizabeth St). There is a Perkins near the high school, so at 2:00 AM (or later) this could be your only option. There's no point in venturing off Main St as there are maybe two resturants and bars on Ann and Sarah Streets. I don't go to E-burg that much, so I don't know much about the resturant/bar scene. Neither I nor my wife will visit the E-burg Walmart area at night unless absolutely necessary.

(Monroe County)

Ain't that the truth. I agree with your sentiments completely.

There are serious criminals in east stroudsburg, I wouldn't worry about them.
    They keep to themselves and are low profile. They come here to push drugs and earn an easy living off the white kids and house wives. It's 10x easier than pushing in the city, why would they mess it up?

What I would worry about the people who work for them. Unstable youth trying to impress. Wannabee gangs. Drug addicts trying to make a dollar. Drunk college kids who become UFC fighters after drinking 3 beers and a long island.

I wouldn't consider main street dangerous, but there are a few area's I would avoid foot travel on, within minutes of walking. Keep an eye out on the alleys, I've known people who were grabbed, pulled into the alleys, and beaten.

An older gentleman I know, who is in his 60's, was pulled from his truck at a stop sign only 2 blocks off main street, and beaten with a pipe and cut. This was a few summers ago.

Last summer my girlfriend and I went to walmart late at night, 2 am or so.
    Dozens of scummers from the city usually populate stroudsburg/east stroudsburg over the summer, and a common hang out is the walmart parking lot. Anyways, these 2 black guys, 6'6" 200+'lbs each(they were clearly reeling off cocaine), were being obnoxious in walmart, tried getting me into an arguement at the register as we were checking out, then left. My strong side was facing away from them the entire time, thus they didn't see my firearm, I open carry. We get out into the parking lot where I assumed they are waiting for us. What do you know, they were hanging back in the parking lot, out of sight, but I was looking for them. At which point they noticed my rather large black/black XD9 service against the backdrop of my white t-shirt and khaki shorts. They decided to turn around and walk away from me as I approached my vehicle.

My friend moved onto west main street last summer. The night he moved in, some guy tried stealing stuff off his porch at 3am. The man was only wearing underwear. A few weeks ago some guy from NY tried banging down his door demanding his cell phone and cigarettes. My friend's coworkers were with him and determined the NY'er was heavily affected by hallucinogens.

I could literally go on for hours talking about situations I've experienced first hand. What I'm getting at, by listing the above situations, is that unfortunately this is a pretty common thing in many small american towns now-a-days. I'm not too worried, but the element to harm you does exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBull View Post
    I would agree with the advice above and stay between McDonalds (4th St) and Stoudsburg High School/WaWa (Elizabeth St). There is a Perkins near the high school, so at 2:00 AM (or later) this could be your only option. There's no point in venturing off Main St as there are maybe two resturants and bars on Ann and Sarah Streets. I don't go to E-burg that much, so I don't know much about the resturant/bar scene. Neither I nor my wife will visit the E-burg Walmart area at night unless absolutely necessary.
    that entire area, walmart, cvs, crystal street is the dregs late at night, i will not say avoid them because i refuse to let this scum take over and win, but do not go unarmed.

(Monroe County)

that entire area, walmart, cvs, crystal street is the dregs late at night, i will not say avoid them because i refuse to let this scum take over and win, but do not go unarmed.
    ohh no. Don't say that chemical. People might think you're looking for trouble...

People who think that way are morons. My friend tells me I would never need to carry a gun to walmart at night, then last summer some guy stops a gang initiation by defending his life with his own gun. Now the same friend tells me I'm an asshole for going to walmart past 8o'clock and I'm just looking for trouble because I carry a gun...

Where is the logic? I don't know.. He's very intelligent and going to law school, yet he still cant grasp what liberty means.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast