Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Unhappy Issue involving my firearms

Let me start off by saying I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if it is, if an admin would please move it.

Last night I had an issue in Lebanon, PA involving my car (99 white crown vic former police car) and my handguns which i had stored in it while i was working at one of the local bars as security(we dont allow firearms in the bar). We had several officers come into the bar looking for someone, which is usual at this bar. Then they proceeded to leave the bar and took interest in my car parked across the street, so i walked outside to see what the problem was. I asked what interest they had in my car and they told me that i had a firearm showing in the vehicle(it was in a concealed carry holster tucked between the drivers seat and the center console with only a small part of the grip showing). They proceeded to lecture me on being irresponsible by leaving it visible in the car(they had to use a flashlight from the passenger-side window which was in toward the street to see it).

They then asked for permission to search the car and verify the gun's serial numbers. I told them i wasn't allowing them to search the car without a warrant. They then threatened to impound my car until they could get one. So, I allowed them permission only to retrieve the firearm and check the serial numbers. They asked if i had any other weapons in the car and i told them i had another firearm under the coat on the passenger seat, which they also retrieved. They then began searching the rest of the car and checking to see if my radio(deprogrammed to receive only) worked as well as the airhorn and lights in the console. They then opened my trunk using the trunk release on the dash and proceeded to search that also.

They then impounded my car and keep my 2 handguns(claiming that none of them had ever seen the type of bullets in them. They were loaded with extreme shock epr 9mm's which i told them but they insisted they might be teflon bullets and had to be checked). So now I'm without my only car and 2 of my handguns and I don't understand why or how...I was very specific about what i was giving them consent to do and what i wasn't but that didn't seem to matter to them. I'm just hoping someone here could explain to me what's going on, what my rights are, and how i can proceed from here. Thanks in advance.

(York County)

Default Re: Issue involving my firearms

The reason this all happened is because you let them search your car. NEVER EVER give a LEO permission to search anything. A lot of them will bullshit you into thinking they can just impound you car whenever they feel like it. They can't. Get a lawyer fast.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

Stop posting, get a lawyer!!!!!!!

(Mifflin County)

Well, the first mistake was leaving firearms in a vehicle, unsecured and visible. Giving consent to search was the second mistake.

Listen to the others, get a lawyer.

(Lebanon County)

I've never been the kind of person to get into trouble, i don't even know any lawyers. I'm only 23, not wealthy, i work 3 jobs to get by, a factory, part time for an armored car company and Saturday nights as security at a bar. How would i go about finding a lawyer and how much is that gonna cost me?

(Bucks County)

Verify the gun's serial numbers? What kind of crap is that? That doesn't even sound legit...

Quote Originally Posted by matrix6985 View Post
    how much is that gonna cost me?
    Probably $150-$200 an hour

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    Stop posting, get a lawyer!!!!!!!

^This. Most important, the first 2 words!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix6985 View Post
    ... and how much is that gonna cost me?

You need to understand the difference between "price" and "cost".

"Price" involves the lawyers fees.

"Cost" is what you will pay to undo the anal raping you are about to receive as a direct result of allowing them to search.

You are going to pay either way. How much will depend on how long it takes you to follow the "dummy-up and get a lawyer" advice. Anything you post here could be discovered and used against you. This forum is hardly a secret.

Best of luck to you, seriously. You were bullied. Now go get a bully defense lawyer.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lebanon County)

I understand that i need to get a lawyer and I'm going to first thing after work tomorrow, I'm just trying to understand why they searched my car when i didnt give them consent to search it, only to retrieve the firearms...

Should have made them impound the car. This would have given you grounds for suing the shit out of them... but I'm betting they wouldn't have.

Now you can still sue them for seizing your property without probable cause, but you've got a tougher row to hoe.

BTW... did they give you a receipt for your property as required by law?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast