Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default What firearm for CCW????

Hi guys. I know this must have been posted alot, but I just want your opinions. You guys seem to know what your talking about.

I am going for my LTCF next week. I will be buying a Firearm for daily CC.
    I want small, light, and 45ACP.

So far I am looking at the Glock 36 and the Para Warthawg.

Anything you guys can think of that fits my wants and is a quality firearm I can trust my life with???

Thank you all!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What firearm for CCW????

If you have already narrowed it down to those choices than I suggest you get the one that feels best in your hand with a natural point of aim. Also consider if you want an external or internal safety. Personally I'm a Glock guy for personal defensive firearms.

(Lancaster County)

Kahr P45. the end.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Kahr P45. the end.
    I am open to anything you guys think would fit me.

I like that Kahr alot. But the Glock and Para do hold more ammo. As of now I am leaning to the Glock 36.

I do want to know if anyone has any recommendations I can look at.

Thank you.

(Cumberland County)

1st, it depends on how much you've got to spend.
    2nd, depends on how you plan on carrying it daily an how deep of a conceal you want.( I CC a larger frame pisol, only printing or showing when wearing tighter shirts.)
    3rd, Its really up to how it fits an feels in your hand/ on body.

We are all different, each of our own. We are not built the same. Same as our opinions, they are all different. A gun we mention you might not like the feel or look of it. In the end the best gun for you is really all up to you. Go to a shop pick some up, hold them, ect.

If you got the cash, I would personally go with the Kahr. But, If you are looking for something to shoot at the range also... I would say a glock 30. But again, go to some gun shops an check them out. Let us know what you pick up an show pictures

Good luck on the LTCF

(Lancaster County)

XD 45 Compact or Springfield 1911 Micro Compact
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "While a 9 mm or .40 caliber bullet may or may not expand, it is an undeniable fact that a .45 caliber bullet will never shrink."- Fr. Frog

The XD 45 felt fat to me on the horizontal axis and I did not like the grip safety. Though many people seem to be happy with it. It took me a while to warm up to my GLOCK 27 just because the hammerless sine external safety system really made me feel uncomfortable. I alternate between my GLOCK 27 and H&K P2000 in .40 S&W for carry.

I have to ask, why have you gone for .45 ACP? The first gun I wanted was the GLOCK 36, but after looking into the attributes of .45ACP vs .40S&W vs 9mm, which plays into magazine capacity, recoil, and this magical notion of "stopping power" I found the .40 S&W to be the better gun for me. I respect those who carry .45ACP, but I just caution you not to fall into the "I want the biggest bullet because it stops better" mindset. In the end control, which leads to shot placement which depends onmagazine capacity are far more important to me. Just make sure you shoot them and take the tactical drawbacks of a 36 vs a 26/27 into consideration.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    I am open to anything you guys think would fit me.

I like that Kahr alot. But the Glock and Para do hold more ammo. As of now I am leaning to the Glock 36.

I do want to know if anyone has any recommendations I can look at.

Thank you.
    Ultimately you will need to decide for your self. I looked at the glock 36, but I decided on he glock 30 instead. It will accept the magazines from the glock 21.

I would recommend that you attend a group shoot or find a range that will rent pistols to you to try. Fitting your hand is only one of the aspects of a carry gun. Shooting your chose also comes into the equation. How fast you can regain your sight picture from your first shot.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Delaware County)

You mentioned a light pistol in one post, but the next post you claim to want a pistol which holds more ammo. Which is more important to you?

Don't make a purchase until you decide what is best for you. My preference is a single stack weapon for carry because it is lighter and thinner, making it easier to carry and conceal. There is nothing worse than buying a pistol for concealed carry, then finding out it is too heavy or bulky to actually wear everyday. Carrying a couple of mags on your weak side will make up for the ammo not in your pistol, and it actually balances your belt load.

Another important consideration is the belt you plan to use with the gun. Comfort is paramount to concealed carry. Buy a belt designed to hold up your pants and the weight of the gun and holster.

If your set up is not comfortable, you will not carry it day in and day out.

A small, light .45 is not an all purpose gun. Not the best choice if you plan on using it at the range for pleasure shooting. Whatever you decide to purchase, take internet advice for what it has cost you, nothing. You are the one who will have to carry and fire the weapon. You are the expert when it comes to deciding what is best for you.

For what it is worth as an opinion, I own a few .45 pistols, none of them are double stack, and I didn't buy them to carry. I carry a single stack 9mm because of the lower weight and size of the pistol makes it easier to carry and conceal. New SD ammo has made tremendous improvements in the past decade, making the 9 a much better defensive cartridge. The ammo is cheaper and more plentiful, the recoil is less which allows you more practice time and even allows your wife a comfortable shooting experience.
    Last edited by reels18; March 29th, 2009 at 08:34 AM.

(Cambria County)

I would say the Glock.No safties,light and small.I would stick with the 45acp if thats what you are comfortable with.The 40S&W has a fast snappy recoil unlike the "gentle"push of the 45.I carry a Glock 29 because of size,mag capacity,and power.The 10mm has the same gentle push the 45 does with a little more power.Pick what you like and have fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast