Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Bye-bye S&W 500.

Today I traded in my beloved Smith and Wesson 500. It was simply too expensive to shoot. I was sad to hand it over but am excited about what I swapped it for. A nib Glock 19 with night sites and 3 fifteen round mags, one 31 round Glock mag and a Serpa sportster holster. I tried to have them throw in a couple boxes of ammo but no dice. If you added up the sales price of what I got I did OK. The shop where I did it is a little on the high side. If you add up the value of his cost Im sure I just gave my revolver away but thats how it goes.
    Last edited by bripro; March 28th, 2009 at 03:24 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Bye-bye S&W 500.

As long as you are happy with the deal. I just can't come to trading something in. I tried putting some stuff on consignment while I was laid off. I eventualy went back and retrieved my stuff. Just couldn't do it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lancaster County)

When you picked up your stuff did there seem to be hard feelings from the shop owner? I had this revolver on consignment somewhere else for 6 weeks before picking it up and bringing it to the second place. They definately seemed like I wasted there time but I did pay the 5 bucks and he did tell me I could pick it up whenever I wanted.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    When you picked up your stuff did there seem to be hard feelings from the shop owner? I had this revolver on consignment somewhere else for 6 weeks before picking it up and bringing it to the second place. They definately seemed like I wasted there time but I did pay the 5 bucks and he did tell me I could pick it up whenever I wanted.
    No hard feelings at all. No charges or anything. The owner was really cool about it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lancaster County)

This is also posted in "gun pics" but here is what my Smith morphed into. The ammo was not included.

Last edited by bripro; March 28th, 2009 at 04:43 PM.

(York County)

The G19 will definitely be a more useable hangun. Sounds like you got a reasonable deal on the trade.
    Frankly, those hand cannons, like the S&W 500, may have a place in Alaska or some place with grizzlies, but not a hell of a lot of use in PA. Of course, there's always the "WOW" factor! Problem with buying them is the resale sucks....not too much of a market for a high quality, rather expensive, large caliber handgun.
    But, enjoy your G19...one of Glock's best!

Ive owned a Glock 19C (factory ported barrel) for years and love it. My favorite 9mm!

(Cumberland County)

My uncle got a S&W 500, he loads his own rounds. Saves him tons of money, but he doesnt shoot it all the time.

(Bucks County)

all large caliber revolvers like the 454 casull, SW 460 and 500 are expensive to shoot but these revolvers were never really meant to be plinkers or used for target practice. i see them as tools for hunting, something you don't use at the range and blow through 100 rounds in an afternoon. if your hunting with a handgun in PA i don't see the SW500 being over kill for deer or black bear. with that said if you're happy with the trade that's all that really matters. the g19 is a great gun and has a lot more practical applications plus 9mm is certainly more affordable than SW 500 ammo.

(Philadelphia County)

You got something you can use for something you no longer wish to....I'd say the overall balance tips in your favor, even if a few bucks went by the wayside in the process. The S&W 500 is worth nothing sitting untouched/unused in a safe.

I wouldn't think twice about the transaction; enjoy shooting the 19.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast