Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Where did the real hero go?

Heroes is an American drama television series, created by Tim Kring, which premiered on NBC on September 25, 2006. The series tells the story of several people who "thought they were like everyone else... until they woke with incredible abilities" such as telepathy, time travel and flight. These people soon realize they have a role in preventing a catastrophe and saving mankind.

Are we forgetting the real heroes out there? They do exist, from the average person who places his life on the line every day to the professionals who make it their work yet go above and beyond the job description.

Man saves a citizen in New York subway… They talked about it a day, then dropped it, this is a real hero here! This man jumped in front of a subway train to hold a man down so he would live to talk about it.
    Army Sergeant returns to retrieve wounded soldiers… Not once, but 6 times crosses hostile fire to retrieve men from his unit!!! There is a real Hero!
    Neighbor runs in burning home to save children… how often do we see these? They are forgotten in an instant.
    Firefighters die trying to save a home; police get shot at or crash and die in their cars trying to protect us, military men and woman who step out to protect at home and abroad…

What is this, we don’t have enough heroes we have to make a miniseries of them? And to boot, make the qualities of these so incredible, that the average Hero is forgotten in an instant?

No wonder we are where we are, Used to be a man saving a wounded animal was a hero, A family taking in a homeless family where heroes, Big Brothers and sisters where Heroes… but not now! No now we need to turn back time, we need to fall off a building and fly; we need to stop a bullet with our hands!!! No wonder we are in such shame of ourselves, there is no way to be a real hero these days unless you work in Hollywood!

We used to have heroes in Hollywood that where close to life, John Wayne comes to mind as a hero who showed what the wild west was once like. Sure it was boosted, after all who shot his way through life 20 times in an hour? But at least the scenes where realistic at the time. So when we saw an article of a man saving a child by snatching him off the street so he would not get hit by a car, we saw John Wayne jumping in front of a stampede and saving a lady. But today, even our troops being out there holding the enemy at bay is not heroic, after all, they can’t fly!!!

Its time we went back to real hero stories, If you have a hero story, come on out and tell us abut it. I don’t care if it’s the fireman climbing the telephone pole to save your car when you where a child, lets hear about your Heroes.

My real Hero was a man who saved me from being beaten as a child. He was a real Ft Lauderdale Police officer. Yet he will never understand how greatful I am to him and his son. He took me out of a situation where my father was abusive ... I was 12 at the time.

His son now is a real CSI in Chicago , his name is David.

I have since been a real hero to a few people, mainly by stopping at automobile crashes when I was first responder there, and saving a few lives.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Where did the real hero go?

"Heroes" is probably one of the best shows that came out in television for a long, long time.

If you want "real" heroes, watch Lifetime TV or read Reader's Digest.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

I guess the reason why people dont throw a parade for the "real" heroes, is probably because its been done before. Sure, its amazing, its incredible, but its not the first time someone ran into a burning building/caught a child falling from the 10th floor/jumped infront of a train, ect.

Secondly, whether its John Wayne dodging bullets, Conan slaying enemies, or Hiro stopping time, you are talking about fantasy. Fantasy and reality are completely different places, and should stay that way.

After all, we have a place where we put people who cant tell fantasy from reality, its called an insane asylum.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    "Heroes" is probably one of the best shows that came out in television for a long, long time.

If you want "real" heroes, watch Lifetime TV or read Reader's Digest.
    +1

Its just a TV show.

(Erie County)

Oh com'n guys, be nice.... Remember the French are used to having to have Heroes come to the rescue (maximum pun intended).

.....sorry I couldn't help myself....

Can't say I ever saw the show, don't watch much network tv

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post
    Oh com'n guys, be nice.... Remember the French are used to having to have Heroes come to the rescue (maximum pun intended).

.....sorry I couldn't help myself....

Can't say I ever saw the show, don't watch much network tv
    I hate to say this, but the Brittish ar just as "romantic" as the French if not more.. YOU are British are you not? Oh, well see I am Canadian! And just only speak french because my ancestors came from some where way back when some 450 years ago in france... Actually, My direct Grandmother was Irish.. 1st gen Canadian, meaning her parents where from Ireland.

All I can say is there does not seem to be many "Heroes" in the lives of the people here, even if it is just a small example of heroism.
    Maybe we should put it at a lower level, who here had some one they appreciated for an action they did?
    Come on guys, I am sure some one here seen some one do some thing they had respect of.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Montgomery County)

When I enlisted in the Military mmmp years ago my grandfather said to the family as I entered the room, "Here comes our hero". I told him that I was 'just a boot and no hero'. And in fact I doubted I ever would be a "Hero".

He told me, "the day a person raises his or her hand and swears to serve their country as a serviceman, cop or fireman they become a hero". "Anything they do after that is just their job".

He retired soon after that from a lifetime as a Philly Cop with a chest full of ribbons from his long career.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    When I enlisted in the Military mmmp years ago my grandfather said to the family as I entered the room, "Here comes our hero". I told him that I was 'just a boot and no hero'. And in fact I doubted I ever would be a "Hero".

He told me, "the day a person raises his or her hand and swears to serve their country as a serviceman, cop or fireman they become a hero". "Anything they do after that is just their job".

He retired soon after that from a lifetime as a Philly Cop with a chest full of ribbons from his long career.
    You trying to make me tear up?

I have a couple of hero stories. I'll only share one, for now.

1st) My uncle Joe. It was June 1989, and the middle of hay season in Oklahoma. I was 12, not allowed to ride the tractors by myself yet, and I was bored. My uncle had borrowed a 3-wheeler for me to ride and keep myself busy with. I was riding, blew out a back tire, the 3 wheeler went one way, and I went the other.
    When I regained consciousness 5 days later, I was told how he sat on my legs to keep me from thrashing hard enough to hurt myself anymore, how he had held my head still, and just tried to calm me for the 3 hours it took the ambulance to get there (all the while I was screaming). I had a concussion, bruised my liver, and broke both collarbones.
    I still have no actual memories of the time, only those filled in for me. I spent 5 days in a "drug-induced" coma, because I would wake up, say my head hurt, and be given a dose of morphine, which knocked me out.

Frenchy I agree. Why dont' we read these stories online? Why don't we hear them on Fox, CNN, or NPR? Where have all the heroes gone?
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(Bucks County)

If I may loosely quote one greater than me: Those that have a hard time finding heroes are simply working too hard not seeing the obvious.