Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What optics do you use on your varmint rifles?

I just built my AR-15 as a varmint set up and want to know what you are using on your varmint rifles. I was thinking about maybe a 12x24 50mm or 56mm scope. not sure what brand. Don't want to spend $400 on a scope.

My set up is-

RRA A4 24" upper
    RRa lower with 2 stage trigger
    Magpul PRS scope
    and a Harris Bipod

Thanks in advance.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: What optics do you use on your varmint rifles?

Personally...the biggest piece of glass I can.

I use several cheap scopes on AR's. I find they either break right up front and you get another one....or last forever. Most last forever. I have a BSA 4x16 Illuminated on my current 3 gun rifle and it takes a beating.

I run an old Tasco 8x40x60mm on my 7STW. It's been on there for 10 years and has taken recoil and still held zero....even after I broke 3 sets of Leopuld STD rings. I finally got Burris Zee rings lapped and glued in to work.

Lycanramblingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

I was just about to say the same thing Lycan, I typically use a cheap scope on varmint rigs. Lol, it's actually less than optimal because you usually need good resolution to see the small critters out there a ways, either way I use cheap scopes on varmint rigs too. On my prairie dog guns, I have 2 really old cheap tascos that hold zero and dial fine. At 10x I can always make the little guys out at 250 or more, so I've never had a problem with using some of the cheaper scopes. Bushnell elite 3200 and 4200 are great glass, I think they offer great resolution and they have some scopes that will fit in your budget. I've shot them on 7STW, 6.5x284, 300 winmag, so they don't mind a little recoil.

I just picked up a Center Point from wal-mart for my varmint/long range set up. $69.97 and it's a 4-16x40, illuminated red and green mil-dot reticle, I think 1/4 clicks, came with scope rings and flip up caps. I haven't mounted it yet, but I know of several guys that have used these and are extremely pleased. I can take some pics if you want.

Sounds good guys. I have had one in mind and it sounds like it is just what I am after. The only thing I can't seem to figure out is about this scope. It says that it has a illuminated green reticle and I don't know if it has a standard black one as well. I don't just want to have the green. I have a red illuminated scope now for my hi-point 995 carbine and I don't use it at all.

Thanks again guys.

I'm not familiar with that brand of scope at all, but I know a bit about illuminated reticles. Typically, on rifle scopes that aren't holographic/red dot scopes, etc.; the reticle is actually black. You then turn a knob that will have different brightness settings, which will illuminate the reticle with a particular color (usually red, sometimes green, and sometimes both). That's typically how they work. As for that scope, I can't comment because I don't have any experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I'm not familiar with that brand of scope at all, but I know a bit about illuminated reticles. Typically, on rifle scopes that aren't holographic/red dot scopes, etc.; the reticle is actually black. You then turn a knob that will have different brightness settings, which will illuminate the reticle with a particular color (usually red, sometimes green, and sometimes both). That's typically how they work. As for that scope, I can't comment because I don't have any experience with it.
    Thanks. That is how my scope is now. When you turn it on it just puts a red dot in the middle of the cross hair. I am waiting on a reply from the company. I really like the set up of the scope.

(Bucks County)

I have 5 center fire varmint rigs. I take my groundhog shooting seriously. I found that I get eye strain from looking through a "cheap" scope. My scopes have to perform in bright sunlight down to very low light conditions. I did go through a lot of diffferent scopes until I found the ones I am using now.
    Leupold VXIII 8.5-25X50 30 mm tube Long range with the Varmint Hunters reticle. These are the best I have found for me. Each of my varmint rigs wears on of these scopes. I do realize you want to spend about $400.00. My advise would be to purchase a used Leupold of some type.

Good luck on whatever you choose,

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Pike County)

Thumbs up Re: What optics do you use on your varmint rifles?

I have an old mauser 98 sporterized in 22-250 it has a nice trigger job and real nice stock carvings and as old as it is is my scope a tasco 8x24x50 if Im not mistaken,is a cheapo glass but it sure shoots like a champ,I have plenty of glasses,my baby is an old zeiss diavari in 3x9x42 it was around a 1000 bucks like 20 years ago,but is my ar fav....
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

(Northampton County)

My swift has a Leupold 6.5 x 20 on it. Learned many years ago cheap scopes are not worth the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast