Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Bucks County Courthouse

I was at thwe Bucks County Courthouse to get Doe permits today for me and a couple of buddies. Drove up in the Dune Buggy. I entered the courthouse and motioned for the Deputy (not a 'rubber badge') to come over and let me use the lock boxes. He came over, very polite, asked for my permit. I told him that I don't need one. He asked if i am LEO. I told him that I am a citizen. He states that I must have one to carry. Here we go.

I told him i don't need one because the gun is openly carried. ( before anybody jumps on me about the dune buggy, I am on foot at this point and he has no reason to believe anything other than I walked there) . He starts to argue that I HAVE to have one to carry, but i stopped him with the facts os OC. He , again very polite at all times, gave up and handed me the pen to fill out the form. Then he had me put the gun in the locker. I also put in my spare mags, and asked if i could put in my pocket knife.
    In an earlier incident a couple of years ago I 'gave up' a nice knife because "the lockers are for guns, not knives". When I got to the metal detector I was given the option of tossing my knife in the round receptacle or not entering the court house. Becaue I needed to do business THAT day, I tossed the knife. Today, I was able to store it in the locker. One point for the Deputy.
    Gun is all secured, he locks the box and puts the key in his pocket and says to see him when I am leaving and he'll open the locker for me. I have an issue with this . As I see it, the law states that I will be issued a receipt for my gun. The key would be a defacto receipt. The gun isn't truly secured if I don't have control of the key.
    As I got done I came back down and retrieved my stuff. Again, very polite and friendly, and i wished him a Merry Christmas.
    I am going to mull ove what to put in a letter to the Sheriff to let him know about several things he needs to hear:
    1: I don't need a lecture on OC/CC and when I need or don't need to have an LTCF
    2: I shouldn't have to show any ID whatsoever to use the lockboxes according to state law as I read it.
    3: I shouldn't have to fill out a form to use the lockboxes (form requires serial number of gun). THIS creates a major safety issue of trying to read the # off of a loaded weapon in close proximity to a line of people.
    4: I should be issued a receipt/key
    5: His Deputy was courteous, professional, and polite. This is a MAJOR departure from the total buffoons with rubber badges I have encountered there before.

Give me some input, and i'll mull it all over before writing the letter. Thanks, and if i don't get the opportunity to say it, Y'all have a Merry Christmas!!!

Default Re: Bucks County Courthouse

I would not have left without the key, it seems you handled yourself quite well, rep inbound.
    -Ben

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    ... I told him i don't need one because the gun is openly carried. ( before anybody jumps on me about the dune buggy, I am on foot at this point and he has no reason to believe anything other than I walked there) . He starts to argue that I HAVE to have one to carry, but i stopped him with the facts os OC. ...
    Unless the governor signs a proclamation to the contrary we're in a state of emergency until 1/24/13 (90 days after the signing of the Sandy declaration) so a LTCF (or meeting another exception) is required to legally carry openly or concealed or in a vehicle.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

You are the only one who should be in possession of that key when your firearm is in the lock box! Otherwise nicely done.

Sounds like you handled it pretty well.

Twency makes a good point about the state of emergency.

Some thoughts about the OP's points 2 & 3: I agree I don't like the idea of having to show ID/fill out a form, but this does prevent someone other than yourself from taking your weapon as they leave the courthouse. I realize that would have to encompass some pretty extraordinary circumstances, but crazy stuff DOES happen.

To the OP point #4, if you don't show ID or fill out a form with the serial number on it, what do you expect to get in the way of a receipt? (This is a genuine question and is not meant in a sarcastic manner)
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

You may want to come to the Reading gun show on the 29th. Sometimes the Sherriff's Dept. has a stand set up there and the sherrif is there. You would be able to talk to him in person if you would be so inclined.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpg5080 View Post
    To the OP point #4, if you don't show ID or fill out a form with the serial number on it, what do you expect to get in the way of a receipt? (This is a genuine question and is not meant in a sarcastic manner)
    The key would be a de facto receipt. At least they didn't make me unload it like the last time. There is nothing more unsafe than forcing a citizen, under the scrutinizing eyes of a LEO, to unload, or load, a firearm. THAT is asking for a Negligent Discharge!

To the next two posters:
    Yes, I had forgotten about the State Of Emergency. I'll put that into my letter as an apology paragraph.

Reading is in Berks county isn't it? This was Bucks County. Should be the same rules and procedures, but you just know it won't be!

The key would be a de facto receipt. At least they didn't make me unload it like the last time. There is nothing more unsafe than forcing a citizen, under the scrutinizing eyes of a LEO, to unload, or load, a firearm. THAT is asking for a Negligent Discharge!

To the next two posters:
    Yes, I had forgotten about the State Of Emergency. I'll put that into my letter as an apology paragraph.

Reading is in Berks county isn't it? This was Bucks County. Should be the same rules and procedures, but you just know it won't be!
    Ooops.. my bad...I read it as Berks County

Thanks for explaining. I do completely agree that nobody but you should be in possession of that key, since you are ultimately responsible for the weapon.
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Philadelphia County)

Maybe its just a Philly thing, but I don't trust any LEO enough to put in writing that I violated the law. Unless you have a LTCF I'd leave that out. I hate to say it, but odds are in your favor that the state of emergency wouldn't on the top of his thoughts either.