Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Kahr PM9/9mm ammo question

Hey guys.

I have been carrying a Kahr PM9 with Corbon 115 gr. +P ammunition as my EDC gun. I carry +1 since the magazine capacity is only 6 rounds (plus one in the chamber). As a result, one round is constantly chambered and unchambered.

I was at a friends house recently, and unchambered the round. I noticed the bullet was seated significantly deeper than the other rounds, probably 3-4 mm deeper. My friend noticed this, and quickly pulled the bullet out, emptied the powder, and discharged the primer.

He said that since the bullet was seated much deeper than normal, the powder would ignite at a higher pressure, thus making it more dangerous, and capable of causing a kaboom.

I checked my Sig P229, and the chambered round is still the same length as the unchambered ones. Seems like the stronger recoil spring of the PM9 is causing this.

I understand how this could happen. Is this true?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Kahr PM9/9mm ammo question

Quote Originally Posted by kindred_spirits View Post
    Hey guys.

I have been carrying a Kahr PM9 with Corbon 115 gr. +P ammunition as my EDC gun. I carry +1 since the magazine capacity is only 6 rounds (plus one in the chamber). As a result, one round is constantly chambered and unchambered.

I was at a friends house recently, and unchambered the round. I noticed the bullet was seated significantly deeper than the other rounds, probably 3-4 mm deeper. My friend noticed this, and quickly pulled the bullet out, emptied the powder, and discharged the primer.

He said that since the bullet was seated much deeper than normal, the powder would ignite at a higher pressure, thus making it more dangerous, and capable of causing a kaboom.

I checked my Sig P229, and the chambered round is still the same length as the unchambered ones. Seems like the stronger recoil spring of the PM9 is causing this.

I understand how this could happen. Is this true?
    Interesting question, I have the same gun and have not noticed that happening but I will be watching more closely. Maybe I will give a call to Kahr and see if they have ever had that happen to them in their testing.

What kind for ammo are you using? For my carry ammo I use Federal Premium Low Recoil Personal Defense, 9mm Luger 135 Grain Hydra-Shok. I also empty my mags and rotate the rounds so that it is never the same round going into the chamber.
    TET 68 Survivor --- U. S. Navy 1963 - 1972

(Bucks County)

I'm using Corbon 115 gr. +P 9mm.

Very true. Sig Sauer actually issued a cautionary letter to their dealers about the higher pressures caused by bullet setback due to a round constantly being rechambered, as you've described. They go overboard (err on the side of caution when it comes to corporate liability) in their recommendations, but as long as you are aware of it and monitor the ammo you should be OK. Still best to rotate your ammo so as not to chamber the same round all the time.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Anyone use Gold Dots or Buffalo Bore ammo in these? I like the Gold Dots in .45...never been a fan of Hydra-shok, but I hear they feed well.

(Allegheny County)

Just try not to load the same round over and over.