Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Another editorial on

Posted in todays Hazleton Standard Speaker

Public safety, gun ownership, can co-exist
    Published: August 10, 2009

When lovelorn loser George Sodoni took out his anger on an aerobics class near Pittsburgh this week, he sprayed the room with bullets from a high-volume ammunition clip that was banned nationwide until 2004.

Sodoni used two 9 mm handguns to kill three women and wound nine others. Then he used a .45 caliber handgun to kill himself.

Investigators at the scene later found two 30-round clips for the 9 mm guns.

The assault weapons ban that was passed by Congress in 1994, but allowed to lapse in 2004, precluded the use of such high-volume clips precisely in order to prevent the type of rampage carried out by Sodoni.

A ban might not have precluded Sodoni from murder. But it could well have reduced the damage.

The incident also demonstrated the U.S. Senate's sound judgment recently in rejecting the Thune amendment, which would have required all states with concealed weapon permit laws to honor such a permit issued by any state.

Sodoni had a Pennsylvania concealed weapon permit. If the Thune amendment had passed, he would have been able to carry concealed weapons in states that have tougher requirements to obtain such a permit, such as New York.

It is entirely possible to craft a legal framework that honors the right to bear arms while sensibly protecting public safety. The assault weapons ban is one element. Another is a movement gaining traction across Pennsylvania.

Erie recently became the ninth city in the state to require owners to report to police the loss or theft of firearms. The trend accelerated after court decisions allowed the policy in Pittsburgh.

The objective of such laws is to deter the illegal sale of firearms to criminals. When police trace weapons used in crimes to their original owners, they often are told that the gun had been lost or stolen. Requiring reports would establish records and make it a crime to merely possess such an ill-gotten deadly weapon.

Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta was noticeably absent when 109 Pennsylvania mayors joined forces to work against the Thune Amendment. Hazleton also has not moved to require reports of stolen or lost guns. Given several recent incidents of gun-related violence in the city, the mayor should get on board.

At the state and federal levels, it's time for politicians stop pandering to the gun lobby and recognize that public safety and gun ownership need not be mutually exclusive concepts.

This is the response I sent it to this EDITORIAL (?)

WHAT would having a law that only penalizes the legal, law abiding citizen done to stop Mr. Sodoni ???? NOTHING... He obtained these weapons LEGALLY... He obtained a PA License To Carry a Firearm.. LEGALLY... He obtained the large capacity magazines for these weapons LEGALLY... The only thing he did illegal was to use them to take out his personal frustration on innocent victims.

Possibly if the laws of the state would allow you to take a weapon LEGALLY into every place, not restricted by the state, someone MAY have been able to prevent, or at least diminish, the carnage that he caused.

Making a person notify authorities that their weapon was stolen, lost, etc. would NOT have changed this mans deplorable actions. An armed citizen may have.

I applaud Mayor Barletta stance on this unjust action toward the legal, law abiding citizen.

Penalize the criminals, and do not infringe on the rights of the people that may have have been able to help avert such an action by a few deranged members of society.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Another editorial on

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    Posted in todays Hazleton Standard Speaker

Public safety, gun ownership, can co-exist
    Published: August 10, 2009

Sodoni had a Pennsylvania concealed weapon permit. If the Thune amendment had passed, he would have been able to carry concealed weapons in states that have tougher requirements to obtain such a permit, such as New York.
    OHHH!! OF COURSE!!! I see, because a lunatic who would walk into an aerobics class and kill a bunch of innocent women would NEVER have carried his guns anywhere he wasn't LEGALLY ALLOWED TO. Laws certainly would have stopped him. **head asplode**

Seriously, how can people who make their living writing for a public news agency have less intellect than the hairs in my butt crack?

Quote Originally Posted by Posted in todays Hazleton Standard Speaker
    The objective of such laws is to deter the illegal sale of firearms to criminals. When police trace weapons used in crimes to their original owners, they often are told that the gun had been lost or stolen. Requiring reports would establish records and make it a crime to merely possess such an ill-gotten deadly weapon
    Umm yes, because right now, there are no laws making it a crime to STEAL GUNS.

You know what I say? Since there are news reporters this stupid and irresponsible, we need to start licensing them, and their computers too. That way if a smart reporter has his computer stolen, we can make sure no stupid ones get their hands on it and use it by simply making laws that make it illegal not to report to the police that your computer has been stolen (this will also make it a crime to steal computers - we need a law that addresses stealing).
    Let them take arms

(Luzerne County)

I read this today and still can't believe the way people think that gun bans are gonna keep things like the la fitness shooting from happening. I almost can't even read that paper anymore. There is never a pro 2nd article in that paper. I bet an editorial to oppose that one would never make the print.

OMG I just solved all our problems...

Lets make murder illegal! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

I hope I can count on your vote in 2012

Honestly though.. I think the only thing that could have stopped this guy from killing women in frustration would be to make prostitution legal >.>
    Last edited by Ihatemyglock; August 10th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.

(Dauphin County)

just a second here.....the SAME editorial was in a different paper, only the names of the mayors have changed. check it out:

http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/6843...cal-paper.html

interesting, no?