Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Barrel Laser

(Adams County)

Default Barrel Laser

I'm looking at a laser that fits in the barrel of my rifles, and are supposed to help with getting my scopes sighted in.

Has anyone here used them? They're about $43 at walmart.

My local rifle range is 100 yards out, and I figured this would help me get a good sight in...or at least help enough that I can use the scope to finish the sighting without going back and forth between the spotting scope.

Says it puts a 2" diameter circle on paper, even at 100 yards and fits right in the end of the barrell.

Anyone have pro's cons to this? Last thread I saw here was over 2 years old, looking for more updated info.

Thanks,

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(York County)

Default Re: Barrel Laser

I got one of the cartridge ones off sportsmans guide for $29.99 +s&h. I think they had the ones you described for about the same price but I recomend the cartridge one unless you are planning on using this for many different calibers. From what I know the cartridge ones work great. I didn't like the looks of the other one, it looked as you almost had to sight in the sight in machine. :0

(Lehigh County)

I have only used a laser once, I don't think it really helped me all that much. I say spend the $43 on ammo and do it the old fashioned way.(I am kind of an old school guy)

I usually start my zero at 25yds, using a 1" circle as an aimpoint shoot 3 round groups making adjustments until you can get all 3 rounds in the 1" circle.

Depending on your caliber you should be +/- 3" at 100 yds, your windage should be dead on.(unless you are trying to zero in a wind storm)

For most hunting calibers used in Pa a 25yd zero should get you to hit the vitals of a deer to @ 200-250 yds.

Hope this helps. I prefer to shoot more so any option that allows me to get more trigger time, the better for me.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

I've had one for a couple of years...works good...gets you pretty close with the first shot.

(Allegheny County)

I thought about getting one of those but I would rather save the money. What I do is start at 25 yards (or even closer for just this part) pull my bolt out and look down the barrel see where it is looking and then adjust my scope. I have my rifle in a gun clamp so it isn't moving around a lot and this has worked great for me. It only requires slight adjustments and probably takes less time than it would to use the laser.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

If you get a laser, I would encourage you to get one that is a catridge for your chamber. The ones that go in the end of the barrel can potentially damage the crown on your rifle. This isn't good for accuracy at all. If you buy one in .223, they make ferules that go over it to fit all the other calibers, so you end up with a multi caliber option. I'm not much for laser boresighters myself either. I usually just look down the barrel, dial in my scope, and shoot; which is where the term "bore sighting" comes from. Either way, they will get you on paper and give you an idea of where you need to be.