Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake cops

Default Fake cops

Pennsylvania makes it a crime to use force to resist an arrest, even one that you know is unfounded.

Use Google News for "impersonated a cop", you'll be surprised how common fake cops are.

A man was arrested Wednesday and accused of robbing a Miami Beach woman in an apartment while claiming to be a police officer.
    Mark Picozzi, 43, is charged with robbery, kidnapping and falsely impersonating an officer. According to the arrest report, police believe Picozzi showed up at an apartment that was being advertised for rent in the 300 block of 25th street.
    Then, the report states, Picozzi told the woman that he was a police officer. Saying he wanted to search the place for drugs, he ordered the woman to sit down and stay quiet. He stole the woman's identification, a ring and $605.
    Detectives found the suspect, whom the victim identified in a police lineup, in Coral Gables. Picozzi has also been convicted in New Jersey on charges of kidnapping and robbery.

Waldo Mason Wattles III, 51, was arrested Monday by the Marion County Sheriff's Office and charged with falsely impersonating an officer, trespass after warning and violation of probation related to sex battery with a weapon or by force case.
    Deputies say Wattles flashed a badge at Fat Daddy’s Bar in Summerfield and reportedly told bar employees he was an undercover cop. A deputy questioned witnesses and Wattles and then arrested Wattles who had a blue wallet containing a gold Private International Investigator badge.
    A check on Wattles at the jail revealed that Wattles is on felony probation for sex battery with a weapon or by force and his probation goes until 2016.

Police say they responded to a 911 call early Sunday morning to the parking lot of the MacDonald's restaurant on Hinkleville Road. Officers say they found three victims, a man and two women, who told them a man had approached them, showed a badge and a gun and then searched them.
    The victims told police that when searching them, the man pretending to be a cop groped the women.
    Police arrested 43 year old Rickey Ledbetter or West Frankfort, Illinois on charges of Robbery 1st degree, Sexual Abuse 1st degree and Impersonating a Police Officer. 33 year old Michael Martin of West Frankfort was also arrested on a charge of 1st degree Robbery.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Fake cops

Funny timing of this thread.... NBC just reported an incident.

(Luzerne County)

I've always wondered how I would react if I thought the person trying to arrest me wasn't a cop.

I know for one if he had no warrent I am not opening my house door. But what if he was in a car and put on the fake bubble and pulled me over, he could have stolen the shield, or to be honest when I was in NY there was a store making actual police shields and just selling them to anyone. My advice is I want to see his police ID, if not goodby, and call 911.

(Monroe County)

And this is why I treat all "officers" with an air of suspicion. I also look at ALL men that I do not know as a possible threat. Maybe that's one good thing about growing up in NJ, you don't trust anyone any further then you can throw them. But then again I've met a lot of woman that I don't trust either, vibes just hit me wrong.

Anyone that has met me knows that I am standoffish when we first meet. It's that first impression that tells me more then you would know.

Love ya Ma, thanks for teaching me the right way.

Some states, like GA have been very proactive on this issue.

All police cars that would, in their daily scope of duties, conduct traffic stops must be marked with the department logo on two sides and the word POLICE, in 4in minimum size letters on three sides.

And the biggie, Anyone who believes that they are unlawfully being arrested can use force, including deadly force, to resist the unlawful arrest.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    And the biggie, Anyone who believes that they are unlawfully being arrested can use force, including deadly force, to resist the unlawful arrest.
    Seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Some states, like GA have been very proactive on this issue.

All police cars that would, in their daily scope of duties, conduct traffic stops must be marked with the department logo on two sides and the word POLICE, in 4in minimum size letters on three sides.

Really? What other states have this?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Seriously?
    It's the law. The Supreme Court has weighed in on this one:

"Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting officer’s life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529. The Court stated: “Where the officer is killed in the course of the disorder which naturally accompanies an attempted arrest that is resisted, the law looks with very different eyes upon the transaction, when the officer had the right to make the arrest, from what it does if the officer had no right. What may be murder in the first case might be nothing more than manslaughter in the other, or the facts might show that no offense had been committed.”

Also, several states:

“An arrest made with a defective warrant, or one issued without affidavit, or one that fails to allege a crime is within jurisdiction, and one who is being arrested, may resist arrest and break away. lf the arresting officer is killed by one who is so resisting, the killing will be no more than an involuntary manslaughter.” Housh v. People, 75 111. 491; reaffirmed and quoted in State v. Leach, 7 Conn. 452; State v. Gleason, 32 Kan. 245; Ballard v. State, 43 Ohio 349; State v Rousseau, 241 P. 2d 447; State v. Spaulding, 34 Minn. 3621."
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-91 (2009)

§ 40-8-91. Marking and equipment of law enforcement vehicles; motorist allowed to continue to safe location before stopping for law enforcement officer vehicles

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this Code section, any motor vehicle which is used on official business by any person authorized to make arrests for traffic violations in this state, or any municipality or county thereof, shall be distinctly marked on each side and the back with the name of the agency responsible therefor, in letters not less than four inches in height.

(b) Any motor vehicle, except as hereinafter provided in this subsection, used by any employee of the Georgia State Patrol for the purpose of enforcing the traffic laws of this state shall be distinctly painted, marked, and equipped in such manner as shall be prescribed by the commissioner of public safety pursuant to this Code section. The commissioner in prescribing the manner in which such vehicles shall be painted, marked, or equipped shall:

(1) Require that all such motor vehicles be painted in a two-toned uniform color. The hood, top, and the top area not to exceed 12 inches below the bottom of the window opening thereof shall be a light gray color and the remaining portion of said motor vehicle shall be painted a dark blue color;

(2) Require that any such motor vehicle be equipped with at least one lamp which when lighted shall display a flashing or revolving colored light visible under normal atmospheric conditions for a distance of 500 feet from the front and rear of such vehicle; and

(3) Require that any such motor vehicle shall be distinctly marked on each side and the back thereof with the wording "State Patrol" in letters not less than six inches in height of a contrasting color from the background color of the motor vehicle. Notwithstanding the above provisions, it shall be permissible for the commissioner to allow not more than five motor vehicles per State Patrol post to be employed in traffic law enforcement which are painted any solid color designated by the commissioner and marked with "State Patrol" in six inch high letters of a contrasting color.

(c) It shall be unlawful for any person, except persons lawfully entitled to own vehicles for law enforcement purposes, to paint, mark, or equip any motor vehicle in the same manner prescribed by this Code section or by the commissioner for law enforcement vehicles.

(d) When a law enforcement vehicle is disposed of, or is not in use for law enforcement, the lettering and colored lights must be removed. Any person using such vehicle for personal use prior to removing colored lights and lettering shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Whenever a motorist driving on the roadways of this state is directed to stop by a law enforcement officer in a law enforcement vehicle marked as required under this Code section, the motorist may continue to drive until a reasonably safe location for stopping is reached. Such motorist shall indicate to the officer his or her intent to proceed to a safe location by displaying the vehicle's flashing lights or turn signal. In proceeding to a safe location, the motorist shall observe the posted maximum speed limit.

(f) An otherwise lawful arrest shall not be invalidated or in any manner affected by failure to comply with this Code section.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    I've always wondered how I would react if I thought the person trying to arrest me wasn't a cop.

I know for one if he had no warrent I am not opening my house door. But what if he was in a car and put on the fake bubble and pulled me over, he could have stolen the shield,
    Yes, in your house, just don't open the door without a warrant.

In a traffic stop, roll the window down one inch, and keep the doors locked. If you truely feel he's not a cop, ask him to radio for a 2nd uniformed officer in a marked car. If he refuses, call 911 and request one yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast